Any ships in Coz. Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are any cruise lines coming to Coz .I know carnival isn't. Just wondering if Coz is still safe as when the ships were coming in. I know how our citizen act in times of crisis, looting , stealing, etc.

Are any cruise lines coming to Coz .I know carnival isn't. Just wondering if Coz is still safe as when the ships were coming in. I know how our citizen act in times of crisis, looting , stealing, etc.

What ARE YOU WRITING ABOUT????? What is the question? Are you suggesting what I think you are?? Are you saying something to the affect that there are social issues as a result of this medical event- like looting, stealing etc? If you are, I truly hope you have written this as some kind of joke or tried and failed humourous writing on your part. THERE ARE NO ISSUES LIKE THIS AT ALL ANY WHERE AS A RESULT OF THIS!!!!!!!!!

MODS PLEASE STRIKE THIS OFF THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a friggin break!

I don't think it is safe for you in this thread :no: get out while you still can :rofl3: I think this poster is off their meds :shakehead:

Seriously there are no civil unrest, or crime issues in Coz. With few if any cruisers in port, some of the shops that depend on that trade are closed, but otherwise most of what you'll see as a tourist is normal.

With fewer tourists around, I might expect the usual hawkers to descend on who comes by a bit more agressively than usual, but it's nothing to worry about. Expect the businesses that you frequent to give you the royal welcome.

Ok, apparently you misunderstood what I was asking. Due to the lack of cruise ships, is coz as safe as it was. I know tourism is their main source of income and due to the lack of tourism is it still as safe as it always has been. We love going to coz and sincerely hope it doesn't hurt this wonderful island. I know when people have no food or money to buy their necessities drastic measures are sometimes taken.
IN NO WAY was I implying that the people of Cozumel will do this, I was not trying to make a big deal out of this but was just wondering prior to us going about the safety with the lack of tourism causing a strain on the local economy. If anyone was offended SORRY, Didn't mean anything hateful just curious since we haven't been there since this all started.

Thanks Don That was the meaning of my post. I know at home when unemployment is high people will do drastic things to get by. In Canada I don't know how people act when they are without work. I have in the past felt safer in Coz than in my hometown walking down the street,was just wondering if it was still that way.

Hola all, well just to let everyone know the federal, state and municipal governments along with some international financial aid, are going to start programs, all the associations of hotels, commerce, tourism, travel agencies, transformation and production etc....along with federal dependencies and syndicated unions are already planning no unnecesary firing, actually the federal government has programs that help the unemployed and even help them to learn to do some kind of labor work and find them and others jobs, this federal gvmt has improved on those matters. Yes the economy in coz, cancun, and most of the tourist depending states will be bad but we have passed even worst problems and there are also plans to help with taxes federal state and municipal specially those companies dedicated to tourism.
I can understand your question, a little exagerated i as a mexican do not take it as an offense but lack of knowledge of a situation, our country is so great and famous for its touristic areas all over, but also for the narc, the ones that bring the drugs to usa, also for corruption in governments we see everyday a municipal official or a drug officer corrupt etc, but even with that, i believe things have changed a lot, at least on this social matters.
When you arrive, all you will find is everyone is gonna try to sell you or take you diving snorkeling, and the typical timeshare offers etc. But i assure you, you will find a lot of smiles and good service just for being there, i can tell you all when things like this happen, any few people that use services or buy are treated great (check on taxi fares always) and this renews the service provided to earn the trust, respect and another happy client that can recommend and probably a tip.

Do come to coz. It is safe. I hope you do and have a great time and i do not doubt you will have great dives as well.

Be informed when you take a desition and i guess you are trying to be informed. People that post here love coz. So much that it is unbearable to even think of that....and that is really nice it shows their love and respect to this wonderful island and all are appreciated some of them have been coming for years, some it is their 2nd home.
Hope this info helps

Let me give you a little background maybe why the reaction to your post was so strong.

There are some who seem to delight in starting needlessly provacative, even trollish threads about Cozumel Mexico - crime, drugs, safety, et al.

Often they will take an insident happening near a border town, or drug gangs in Mexico City, and compare that problem to Cozumel, often with the thread heading "Are you reconsidering your trip".

Kinda like saying crime in Miami - are you worried about going to Cedar Rapids, IA?

While your post was perhaps poorly worded, and your fears unfounded, I did not see any malace in what you wrote.

But many are sick of some trolls (not refering to you) posting nonsense about Coz just to stir the pot.

Yes wording may have been harsh, but no malice was intended. Wife was concerned about getting off the beaten path to the smaller restraunts. We have a trip planned in May. I was just trying to get info to tell my dive buddy everything was ok in Coz.

Back
Top Bottom