Any tips for cold water solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
Were is the snow and ice in those pictures....thats not cold water....... :eyebrow:
Haha.. Its a lot hotter than normally in the end of november for sure..
There was some snow and ice in the shadow, but the winter here was far too hot last year.. And the tourist industry really felt it :(

Yo, Indepth Training is a brand new agency. Just about starting up with tech and pert training. Have a look at indepth-training.com. Manuals, standards and so on is just about up and running.

The group behind it is former PSAI and TDi people.

Nitrox50:
Yo, Indepth Training is a brand new agency. Just about starting up with tech and pert training. Have a look at indepth-training.com. Manuals, standards and so on is just about up and running.

The group behind it is former PSAI and TDi people.

OK...thanks

I did forget something that you might find very usefull when diving in cold water, solo or not, or only being out in cold weather..
Take a trip to the toilet before you dive...
Once you get cold, your body will feel the need to get rid of excess waste alas making you need to use the bathroom.
Also, carrying this extra weight migh make you feel cold faster than if you didnt.
So the next time your feet are cold and you suddenly need to take a wizz, is it because youre cold you need to take a leak or are you cold because you need to pee?

For me, the main thing is being close to shore (as I normally dive off shore) I dive year around, depending on when the ice forms (I won't dive under ice unless it is with a divemaster, being an "overhead environment"). The main thing I consider is what the consequences are should a valve fail, which would flood the suit and hasten hypothermia which, believe me, is very debilitating. As has been recommended in previous posts, remove and replace your mask to get used to the shock of truly cold water, most people gasp with a face full of it, which would be bad news at depth for us divers (I recently switched to a FFM and it took a great deal of practice in cold temps to remove it and put the back up mask on underwater~ I'm still not completely confident that I could perform the switch at depth in cold water, it really does make a big difference).
The other considertion is what type of drysuit you're wearing, neoprene or vulcanized? neoprene is warmer and retains some heat (so I'm told) if a valve fails where vulcanized becomes negative and much colder. The difference of course is according to how much weight you're willing to wear during the dive. As far as the "dry gloves" are concerned I wore five finger gloves for quite awhile (warming them with hot water out of a thermos) with good, comfortable results on winter dives, but the three finger mits, although difficult to get on alone (tight wrists are a must!) are fantastic for me. The coldest part of my winter dives are when I exit and undress. I think winter diving is the best for the visibility and lack of activity, the only thing is the funny looks you get when you ask people to "zip you up" when you're wearing enough underclothes to make zipping up alone (back zipper) impossible. Good luck, and take care~ Jim

A real challenge is a night solo dive in a cold water...

Relax, Relax, and Relax...

Hoosier:
A real challenge is a night solo dive in a cold water...

Relax, Relax, and Relax...
Thanks.. now I cant wait for the winter to come :p
I LOVE night diving.. And cold water, which means great visibility in the water here.. Blisssssss :D

hilti:
For me, the main thing is being close to shore (as I normally dive off shore) I dive year around, depending on when the ice forms (I won't dive under ice unless it is with a divemaster, being an "overhead environment").

If you are relying on a DM to save your butt, you should not be doing the dive.

Stay warm!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom