Any tips on how to get on dive boat with people of same skill level?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeilA.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, besides chartering a boat, or traveling with more dive friends and filling a boat, does anyone have any tips on increasing my/our odds on getting on a boat with people with comparable skill level? I’m looking for being with “capable” divers.

It’s a real disappointment, and especially annoying after 4-5 days of diving, when new people join us, often for just one day, with a total lack of gas management and buoyancy skills, (usually with a go-pro in hand!) Ruins the rhythm and can be quite annoying.

Aldora Diving apparently does their best to group divers by skill level, but I am pretty happy with a 50(or so) minute dive and don’t really enjoy going past an hour.

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Neil

Already answered your own question. Gotta charter yourself and fill the boat.
The charters are there to make money…they aren’t going to turn away divers because they have “better” divers already on the charter.
I assume you are doing group dives and a DM is leading, you could always hire a separate DM for your “better” group of divers.

Pick one of the many excellent valet dive shops and dive multiple days with them. Once they see you're a "no drama" diver, you'll generally receive a lot of discretion to "dive your dive." Repeat customers tend to be treated as "dive family." There are threads with lists of shops and specialties. I tend to lean toward "dive your dive" shops as opposed to those that stress "groups" for this reason. There are certain rules they/you need to follow, but they can be customized for different experiences...something for everyone. Until you find the shop that's right for you, try not to worry about others and enjoy your dive. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

More expensive resorts and dive op's might thin out the noobs (me).

CZ made me feel like an expert. So I understand your pain.

Pick one of the many excellent valet dive shops and dive multiple days with them. Once they see you're a "no drama" diver, you'll generally receive a lot of discretion to "dive your dive." Repeat customers tend to be treated as "dive family." There are threads with lists of shops and specialties. I tend to lean toward "dive your dive" shops as opposed to those that stress "groups" for this reason.

This. There's no reason less experienced divers should affect your experience unless they actually hurt themselves.

So, besides chartering a boat, or traveling with more dive friends and filling a boat, does anyone have any tips on increasing my/our odds on getting on a boat with people with comparable skill level?

Aldora Diving apparently does their best to group divers by skill level, but I am pretty happy with a 50(or so) minute dive and don’t really enjoy going past an hour.
It's not clear to me what you're looking for. I believe the most common reason why more experienced divers often seek a boat with people of similar experience level is to avoid having less experienced divers need to surface earlier than more experienced divers and thereby limit everyone's bottom time.

Hi @NeilA.

I understand what you want, it is more than just gas consumption, it's where and how you are able to dive.

My son and I chose to dive with Aldora. For most to the week, we dived as a group of 4, with a very experienced and skilled husband and wife. With their many boats, Aldora can be successful in matching divers in groups no larger than 6. Our dives averaged 75 minutes, with some shallow dives up to 90 min, so this is not perfect for you.

If I was to return, I would choose Aldora again, without any qualms. Others can advise you of good operations with shorter dives, there are many.

I have found that if the Dive Op caters to cruise ship divers, the chances of getting placed with divers with lesser skills are greater. I dove with Aldora on my last Coz trip, and they do a pretty good job asking questions about your experience level. Heck, my first dive with the group Aldora placed me with was Devil's Throat. (a boring dive IMO...)

I feel you. Its being able to get to the more advanced sites as well. I was going to say Aldora before I saw you mention them. You need to find a company that you like that owns multiple boats and ask them to be on the big boy boat once they get to check you out.

I understand what you want, it is more than just gas consumption, it's where and how you are able to dive.

Its being able to get to the more advanced sites as well. I was going to say Aldora before I saw you mention them.

Okay, you guys remind me that in addition to more bottom time there is the advantage of "more advanced sites." We used Aldora for the past few Cozumel trips, and I guess it slipped my mind that if we had instead dived with an operator that didn't take experience into consideration they might have taken us to less interesting sites. When the DM asks "Does anyone have any particular site they want to visit today?" we never chime in. We're happy to dive wherever they take us. But that could be because it's Aldora.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom