Any Trick to Jetty Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aucilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am about to go on my first dive after training and with no trainers along. We are going on a "jetty dive," which I gather is a shore dive and shore entry.

I have never done that. I have just jumped off boats into the sea.

Any tips for a newbie?

Honestly, for this guy, this is VERY exciting!

you can giant stride off the end of the jetty, or you can walk down the beach next to it. if walking, make sure you hae a good set of booties to aviod spikey pointy scratchy things on the bottom.

MAKE SURE that you are aware of the tides. Depending upon the positioning of the jetties, tides can seem to occur out of nowhere, and they can be killers!!!!
I don't want to scare you, just make you aware.

You should be able to get a tide table from a local dive shop or fishing pier. Slack tide would probably be the best time for you guys to dive it.

The Jetties I know of are all rocky and there is huge undertow by them. I would not recommend a giant stride. If you can do a shore entry in the area of the Jetty, and not directly from the Jetty, I would do that.

Dive in the water alongside the Jetty. It's more fun than trying to get through the Jetty itself. :wink:

Just watch tides and surge. Have fun and relax.

Gary D.

I think you will have to be carefull of getting caught by some fisherman's hook.........what a catch.

Thanks for all this. It was entertaining and fun. I'll report!!

I don't know about where you are diving but most of the jetties I have seen in Mass and N.E. are made of large granite stones/boulders and tapper outward from top to base
and always have at least four or more people fishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom