Any unhappy users with mares icon hd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeanGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I was talking with some of the diving instructors, the said that mares hd is just about colors, but it has a sensor problem, can anyone confirm that? If not, for how long you have.been using it? For what dives? And how many dives? Can you change the battery?
I hope you guys can reply so I can show them this post

Appearantly, most integrated digital compasses don't work that well
Thanks for the reply hopefully we'll get more feedback

Agreed compass is hard to read. I had a problem where mine flooded after 25 dives but was replaced by Mares for a new one with no issues.

I bought brand new Icon HD in Florida. Still waiting so long time for air upgrade, but now I've got a real trouble with it.

In April 2011 my HD started acting screwy. I will randomly get a message that says please clean contacts before charging. This will happen when there is still 33% power in the device, and it will not log a dive if you take it down with this message displaying-the only way I can get rid of the message is to charge it. It was not so huge problem for me, just have to charge my device often. But then HD was totally dead. Just switching off. It was fully charged by the night before and I try to charge it again and again, but nothing. I have to contact Mares rep (Scott Cook) and after short discuss he advice to bring my HD to local dealer (I was in Moscow, Russia). It was 2 months ago !!! Until now I have no any additional info about my HD or any service dates, on any question answer is "It still in Italy, we haven't no any more info for you" ... And one more, they said to me "it will be repair for money because you bought your HD in USA, not in Russia."

i see, true, thats what im afraid of the most, i could buy it online and then it might actually flood just as soon as i buy it or after like 10 or 15 dives, that would be a problem for me to return it back , knowing like u have to pay for the shipment, and repairs, not to mention , the warranty might be void after you buy it from the states over the internet

gotta see if its available in local store around here, i've been doing a research about people who have problems with the mares icon hd, it doesn't seem that i can find a lot of people complaining about it. i can afford both so , more expensive doesn't mean its better, but i surely love the simplicity of the mares .. guess i'll search more for couple of weeks before finally deciding.

any input would be highly appreciated

when switching gasses, it can't switch transmitter on a different tank. Plus no oxygen gas analyzer in unscrewing an the transmitter from one tank to another during gas switching, if screwed onto wrong tank, want the transmitter to display if I am in 5% hydreliox, if I put it on a oxygen deco tank, I want the computer to warn me.

Should monitor work of breathing and calculate CO2 in bloodstream and warn me if I am about to black out and die.

Should monitor work of breathing and calculate CO2 in bloodstream and warn me if I am about to black out and die.

I think that's impossible to calculate in an open circuit. To calculate the PCO2 you need to know the minute ventilation, which it could calculate, and the rate of CO2 production. The latter could be estimated from O2 consumption, but in an open circuit there is no monitoring of the expired gas. You're asking for the impossible. Besides in an open circuit I think it would be impossible to retain enough CO2 to pass out.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom