Any vegetarians out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just found this thread and would like to say that I've joined the ranks! After a week of cutting animal flesh out of my diet, I don't have anything positive to report other than being able to distinguish more flavor in what I'm eating. I had a killer headache most of the first week (maybe it was meat withdrawal -- yea, there's a dirty joke in there somewhere), and I appear to have developed halitosis from all the onions that I've been eating. My body smells no different (that I can tell), and my complexion and hair are the same as they were before...but it's only been a week. However, one other difference I have noticed is increased volume, but less odiferous gas...I don't know if it's good or bad, as I'm the verdict is still out on whether loud and proud trumps a good SBD during a game of covered wagon at night.

Giggi:
Just found this thread and would like to say that I've joined the ranks! After a week of cutting animal flesh out of my diet, I don't have anything positive to report other than being able to distinguish more flavor in what I'm eating. I had a killer headache most of the first week (maybe it was meat withdrawal -- yea, there's a dirty joke in there somewhere), and I appear to have developed halitosis from all the onions that I've been eating. My body smells no different (that I can tell), and my complexion and hair are the same as they were before...but it's only been a week. However, one other difference I have noticed is increased volume, but less odiferous gas...I don't know if it's good or bad, as I'm the verdict is still out on whether loud and proud trumps a good SBD during a game of covered wagon at night.

Many of these symptoms will pass and are very similar to starting a detox diet. If you find the gas bad in the beginning (I know I did) try Beano. After your first month everything should sort itself out completely. Your complexion may also get worse for a while as your body releases toxins but don't worry. In fact, you may even want to consider a detox diet to kick your new lifestyle into high gear. I do them a couple of times per year and feel great afterwards!

Funny you mentioned a month for adjusting. I promised myself that I would try this for a minimum of a month before I passed judgment on whether or not I feel or see any longer term effects, positive or negative. The halitosis is calming down a bit (as well as the gas) and the headaches have gone away. The big test is going to be in a week or so... I'm hoping the increased intake of soy products will help with the hormonal imbalances of middle age (which also include migraines from hell).

I'm going to hold off on the detox diet until I get my doc's approval, and/or reach a plateau or need a boost. Any good recommendations or websites for a detox diet?

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I WISH I was....really. I crave red meat. I hate to think about the animal killed, the saturated fat, the entire thing is disgusting. I really seem to crave it. the bloodier the steak, the better. I eat lots of vegtables and fruits....really believe it is healthier, and then, I just start thinking about steak. Maybe I am really a vampire. Sometimes I will go a week or two and then I start to feel weak. Gotta have some.

Veggie for the past 3 years--I do eat dairy and eggs, but no fish, poultry, or red meat.

I got started without realizing it many years ago by cutting out red meat. I lived in the UK when "mad cow" first began to be a big problem, and once it became clear that people got a form of the disease through eating meat (which I continued to do while living there), the Red Cross stopped taking blood donations from those of us with residence in the UK during that period. (I also can't be an organ donor.) This really put me off beef and by extension other red meats. More recently, we got bird flu over here in Asia, and even though there doesn't yet appear to be any evidence of risk in *eating* poultry, somehow it seems to me that I've heard that song before, so I decided to give chicken up for the duration--and bird flu is definitely still out there. Finally, I just can't bring myself to eat my fish friends and their marine cousins.

It didn't seem hard to go veggie--I did it so gradually--though sometimes when I'm at a restaurant with few veggie options beyond salads or Boca burgers, a menu item with beef or chicken or shrimp really "sounds" good. However, if I do end up eating it, I'm generally ill afterwards with a tummy ache. I've heard that once you stop eating flesh your body ceases to produce the enzyme needed to digest it, and that causes indigestion, stomach upset, and bowel disturbances. These days, a steak smells to me like cooked blood, and I find even chicken broth as a soup base tastes nasty and unfresh.

Oh yeah. I don't look dead or sallow either. I am by no means skinny or starved looking. I'm in excellent health, with a heart health rating of somebody 15 years younger, no arterial plaque whatsoever plus the blood pressure/pulse/breathing rates of an athletic person. My digestion is much, much better since going veggie (but gas *can* be a problem, especially on long plane rides, LOL). So while I became veggie mainly because I wanted to avoid getting various diseases from the food, now I'll remain veggie because of how much better I feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom