Any volunteer in Marine Conservation Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TripleAech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any volunteer in Marine Conservation Philippines that would like to share it's experience with us?

We met people from the Coral Caye project in Southern Leyte who were very nice and spoke very highly of their experience. The dive shop staff also commented on how important this research is to the community.

Hi, I was a volunteer with Marine Conservation Philippines for a month in august!
Volunteers mainly do surveys on inverts, fish, and substrate. After I left, they also started a mangrove project.
The founders, science officers, dive instructors and volunteers were all amazing people, whom I loved working with.
Lodging is basic, but decent and Melba makes great food.
The base is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature and if you want, you can go for a 10-minute walk to watch an amazing sunset from the surrounding hills.
While on weekdays diving is for conservation, Saturday is used for fun diving - although all dives are fun :wink: . This will either be at local dive sites that have plenty to offer, at Apo Island or at a new site where they have never been before.
There is no diving on Sunday, so many people use this day to discover the mainland of the Philippines.
It is also possible to skip the fun dives on Saturday and use the weekend to travel a bit farther away. For example, we skipped a weekend at MCP to go diving at Moalboal and some people went to Malapascua Island.
All in all a great experience! I would absolutely recommend going to MCP!
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :D

Hi TripleAech,

I saw this post and thought I should just say hi as a fellow scubaboardian. :) As I work at MCP, I obviously can't pretend to be unbiased, but as I saw your post I thought at least I should offer to answer any questions you may have!

@NicolasDg Thanks very much for your kind words!

Thanks @tippytoes12 for the info.

Thank you @NicolasDg for sharing, I think I am definitely going to do my DM there. Thanks for the tips too, maybe I will plan a weekend trip to Malapascua

Thank you @matt_reed for the info, I will look into that

Hi @sierrakilo I think I already answered an email from you, Thank you and we'll be in touch

@TripleAech, I'm sure you'll have a great time!! The people doing DM when I was there, said they had a lot of fun!

I didn't go to Malapascua because I would have had to miss a day of conservation diving but some friends of mine who went, said seeing the thresher sharks was a great experience and absolutely worth the long trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom