Anybody dived Korea since the 2015 laws came into effect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_divo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in Korea and trying to get back into diving, but just found out about the 2015 maritime safety laws that are putting the squeeze on the industry. I'm finding it difficult to get solid info on the state of diving right now because things seem to be in flux. Has anybody dived Korea in the last two years? Would be great to hear some up to date experiences and get some recommendations for great places to dive or info on dive shops that foreigners found helpful/easy to work with. Looking specifically for solid info on Korea, not recommendations to dive anywhere but Korea. There's no Korea-specific page, so perhaps if we could pool info on this thread, it would create a starting point for people to get info. Thanks.

I'm in Korea and trying to get back into diving, but just found out about the 2015 maritime safety laws that are putting the squeeze on the industry. I'm finding it difficult to get solid info on the state of diving right now because things seem to be in flux. Has anybody dived Korea in the last two years? Would be great to hear some up to date experiences and get some recommendations for great places to dive or info on dive shops that foreigners found helpful/easy to work with. Looking specifically for solid info on Korea, not recommendations to dive anywhere but Korea. There's no Korea-specific page, so perhaps if we could pool info on this thread, it would create a starting point for people to get info. Thanks.

DS...

Try Googling...South Korea Dive Operators...South Korea Dive Shops...New South Korea Scuba Diving Regulations/Restrictions...

If you're in country...contact as many local dive shops as you can...

Once you start the ball rolling...one good contact will lead to another...

Good Luck...

Warren

P.S...I just did a quick check...lots of dive shops/PADI Five Star Dive Centers around Seoul...

Try Googling...South Korea Dive Operators...South Korea Dive Shops...New South Korea Scuba Diving Regulations/Restrictions...

If you're in country...contact as many local dive shops as you can...

I've spent the last month doing just that. I'd like to supplement my own factual research with people's personal experiences and create a dive resource for other divers in Korea as well, if possible.

I dove on Jeju with Ralph years ago, 2007 or so. I assume he is still running his shop... The website:

BigBlue33 - Jeju Island diving service

There are recent reviews posted about his shop so I guess it is still open.

I am sure he will know what you need to know given how long he has been in Jeju. He had already been there for years before I met him. I know nothing about the latest rules. I've not been in ROK since 2009. I like the dives in Jeju too... great topology underwater.

dove on Jeju with Ralph years ago, 2007 or so. I assume he is still running his shop... The website:

BigBlue33 - Jeju Island diving service

There are recent reviews posted about his shop so I guess it is still open.

He just sold his business and moved to Indonesia (due to the hassle of new laws). Big Blue 33 is now Korean owned and operated.

FYI Busan Scuba (PADI 5 star IDC Dive Center) employs one English language instructor and offers courses/some services in English.

I dived Daejin Scuba Resort this weekend. There's a scuba park with three sunken fishing trawlers that you can wreck dive down to 28m. There is also an area with coral beds around 18m.

Back
Top Bottom