Anybody Diving Destin Jetties Sunday (6-21-09)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoda,

The sand at the shower was actually in the shade when we got there it wasn't until you made about maybe 10 steps that it started getting hot.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Mike s,

We never made it to the water, but that was where we were headed, directly to the water. I had read everyone's advise on here about that and that was what I was going to do.
------------------------------------------------------------

I tell you what you guys need to do. If I lived here and was going to dive the jetties all the time like you guys, you all should get your local dive clubs together and do fund raisers to raise the money to have a sidewalk put in there that goes through all the deep sand almost to the water. I am assuming the city, county or state owns the property or access where that trail is and I'm sure if you guys raised the money and could get the right politicians behind you, you could get that done. Don't you think? Sure would make that a lot better accessible dive for the local divers.

I have dove the jetties here in Destin one time a few years ago, it was my daughter's and my first saltwater dive and I have always wanted to dive it again. We dove it off a snorkel boat trip the first time but the cost of that didn't seem practical to do again when I can go out in the gulf on a charter for about the same price. I guess I need to invest in a pontoon boat.

I'm thinking that raising money would be better used to create more dive sites, perhaps some more beach accessible rubble elsewhere. I hate that you burned your feet all up, but it was certainly not-typical.

Its cheaper to just wear your dive booties(or some flops) than to pay for sidewalks to be built over soft sand(and all the maintenance that will come from keeping the sidewalks in one piece over the shifting sands). With the economy the way it is, money needs to be spent a little more wisely than making things easier at already easy access sites. It is the beach, sand is a part of it.

Whatever dude! I was making reference to the deep sand and difficult walking conditions it causes for divers carrying gear not my situation of the hot sand! Excuse me for making any suggestions for conversations sake. I will now leave it all in your most capable hands!

I agree with Bugman....

although I'd love to see a nice boardwalk over the soft sand for walking purposes..., I'd rather see that money used for more dive sites that are reachable via shore.

(putting one in for walking purposes would also detract from the beauty of the beach).

putting in a boardwalk just means that it's easier to get to the beach from that access and that means more people using it and more issues with parking. parking at the destin jetties can already be a bear during the busy months on busy weekends. lots of beach goers use that beach access as do a lot of fishermen.

boardwalks aren't going to keep folks from burning their feet. boardwalks get hot also.
(just makes it a little easier to walk on).

even if a boardwalk or sidewalk was put in, it'd just be washed out by storms in a year or so or covered in sand. (or at least the half closest tot he water would be). I can't remember how many times they've rebuilt and re-paved the parking lot at Pompano Joe's over the past 5 years it's washed out so many times from storms.

other solutions to "lightening the load" are using something like SeaYoda's "sand yacht" that he uses to haul his scuba gear and camera system over the sand there.

another option is that both dive shops offer boat dives to the jetty for $25 to $40 / trip. (but you still have to haul your gear/tanks from the parking lot at the marina to the dock and down the dock. yeah it's a little shorter, but oh well.

*shrugs*

Sorry you don't agree that I think money raised should go to additional sites instead of at a site already available to us. Its just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. I would just not see those funds as money well spent. I just don't see where the conditions are that difficult.

Sorry I didn't jump on your bandwagon to spend money so that people can avoid walking on sand at the beach???

Spend your money on charters, you won't have to walk on sand. Beach dives on the Gulf are pretty much going to require a walk through sand.

Mike,

Again I wasn't talking about the sidewalk thing because of my burned feet but because of the deep sand to have to walk in with dive equipment.

I understand what you are saying about if it is made more accessible there will be more crowds, I agree with you there you are right, there is always a price to pay for improving anything.

I like your last suggestion the most and I believe it to be the best answer. Dive shops would make more money, divers would have a better experience, it would better benefit the local economy without increasing crowds. Now if we can get Scuba Tech or Emerald Coast Scuba to offer a jetty trip for say $40.00 including air I think they would have plenty of customers (divers) take them up on it.

I didn't know I was starting a band wagon, I thought I was just having some conversation on the scuba board with fellow divers. Your "feet all burned up" comment was out of line, rude and condescending and I would bet your not near as much of a ahole guy in person, your just a key board commando kind of guy that says things to people over the internet in a rude manner that you wouldn't do in person. It's all good.

You read too much into things.

I hate that you burned your feet all up, but it was certainly not-typical.

Thats a direct quote, its not condenscending. Its what happened according to your own accounts. I think it sucks that you had such a bad experience. However, its not typical. Like SY stated, sometimes the darker sand at the beginning has been hot, but the white sand the beach is covered with isn't usually bad at all. I haven't heard of anyone being burnt by the sand at the beginning of the trail and have walked it several times myself, usually with some sort of footware to avoid sand burs and debri, but not always. I've done this dive dozens of times with different dive buddies and different groups. I don't doubt you burned your feet, I'm just saying its not the typical situation. I seriously doubt it was from the typical white beach sand as even the color of the sand helps repell sunlight/heat.

I thought I was just having some conversation on the scuba board with fellow divers.

Sweet, me too. I can even do it without yelling.

Whatever dude! I was making reference to the deep sand and difficult walking conditions it causes for divers carrying gear not my situation of the hot sand! Excuse me for making any suggestions for conversations sake. I will now leave it all in your most capable hands!

You just seem to have a problem with me disagreeing with you. Its an internet forum, people will disagree.

I will now leave it all in your most capable hands!

I would bet your not near as much of a ahole guy in person, your just a key board commando kind of guy that says things to people over the internet in a rude manner that you wouldn't do in person.

Who's being condescending and rude? Who's calling names?

If thats how you want it to be, I can play :) It already seems as though your feelings are as tender as your feet, so I'm not sure that'd be the best direction for this thread :wink: Now, I'm being condescending and rude, but not nearly as bad as it can get.

/keyboard commando :shakehead:

I like your last suggestion the most and I believe it to be the best answer. Dive shops would make more money, divers would have a better experience, it would better benefit the local economy without increasing crowds. Now if we can get Scuba Tech or Emerald Coast Scuba to offer a jetty trip for say $40.00 including air I think they would have plenty of customers (divers) take them up on it.

actually both shops run trips there all the time. all you have to do is ask (the shops).

about any day during season that snorkelers want to go, they'll gladly let you bring your dive gear.

I didn't know I was starting a band wagon, I thought I was just having some conversation on the scuba board with fellow divers. Your "feet all burned up" comment was out of line, rude and condescending and I would bet your not near as much of a ahole guy in person, your just a key board commando kind of guy that says things to people over the internet in a rude manner that you wouldn't do in person. It's all good.

Bugman wasn't being rude... he was just saying things the way they are.

he offers a lot of good input about local diving in the area. he prob knows these dive sites as well or better than most anyone on here.

you should consider going diving with him sometime. He's a very experienced diver and knows these sites like the back of his hand... you would definately learn something from him.

Mike is right..I think you just misunderstood Bugman.. I hate it about your feet.. Boardwalks are bad topics of conversation around here...

Back
Top Bottom