Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing the photo Dave. Love the sharks teeth and not opposed to an occasional spot of rum. Any time you find you way down around Charleston SC, look me up. We have the ocean and a few rivers to dive in.

I truly enjoyed the book Fatal Treasure It is about the life and times of the Fisher Family in the previous century. It was a really good read.
Thanks for the invite Lee, I was hoping to get down your way this spring but it's not looking good right now, too many projects going on right now. Perhaps I will be down your way next spring and I will drag along a couple of my buddies with me.
I posted the pix of the gold coins from last season on the "Things you have found " Thread, post # 1312., We got out on the wreck on Sunday but no gold was found, Maybe next time.
I will have to get that book and give it a read, I love to hear or read about THing in the good old days.
ZDD

I truly enjoyed the book Fatal-Treasure It is about the life and times of the Fisher Family in the previous century. It was a really good read.

Thanks Lee, I just purchased this book and it arrived yesterday so I will read it on my cruise. I also have the book Son of Hamas and so far it is a really good book.

Have a nice cruise Mike and get some rest and relaxation. I signed on with Charleston Scuba to go down to Rainbow River and Troy Springs the first of next month. I typically use the swimming pool to force myself to pull all my gear together and start the dive season. I thought a shallow clear river and springs would do the same thing and be a lot more fun. I have already started pushing my gear together in a pile. I will probably try to arrange something with Phill or Johnny for May 14th, 21st, or 28th. (or maybe something offshore Charleston, Murrels Inlet, North Myrtle).

=======================================================

Check out what the Ditch Weezel is picking up in Summerville

I have not posted here in a while, been busy working on projects in the shop and have not had time to do any diving. Today, I went back to a spot that was producing a few nice teeth for me this past winter. I did three dives in a VERY strong current, first dive nothing but some bones, second dive I got about a dozen small Makos (not pictured here cause I gave them to my boat captain) and the smaller 3.5" Meg, third dive I picked up three 6 inch Megs and a half within four feet of each other in some big rocks. They are a little banged up but still nice. One tooth has some very cool wrinkles/waves in the blade, a keeper for sure. I also picked up a lot of whale vertebra and two nice huge whale teeth. It was a good day!

Attachments

• 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 50
I like the vertebra and ear bones, nice color, size, and shape. I like that small Meg also.

The Meg with the wrinkles is interesting. Wonder what caused them?

===========================================================

I am going to use Express Water Sports in Murrels Inlet SC to dive the "Governor" in June. I have not been there in a while and I want to go back because I know from experience there are LOTS of civil war artifacts there. I have seen rifles, a CSA belt buckle, and lots of bullets come off the site. Now days they call it the Civil War wreck. Going solo. If anyone wants to hook up, let me know.

Here is a photo of a bottle found on the wreck. I found this photo on the Express Water Sports website.
main393.jpg

Civil War Wreck
Depth: 70-80 feet.....Viz: 50-65 feet ......
$115 for 3/4 Day (Advanced)**
This wreck is thought to be the Governor. Many artifacts have been taken from this site, but many (like cases of guns) still remain. This is a true treasure hunter's site!
******SAFETY SAUSAGE & Whistle required*****

=============================================================================

Posted 41 minutes ago by the Mel Fisher group!

The JB Magruder found a gold bar today! They've also been finding silver coins and other artifacts in the same area in which they found the gold rosary.

================================================================

Last edited:
That's a nice bottle, that style of bottle is called a mallet it is a late one that dates between 1710s - 1740s Rare antique wine bottles - English Mallet Bottle @ Cosbert Dot Comso it would predate the civil war but they were reused over and over for the sailors daily ration of rum. I have one just like that one with the initials of 3 different sailors scratched and dimpled into the side of it. It's my favorate bottle.
ZDD

Thanks for the link Dave. I think it is interesting that its origin is England. Charleston SC had strong ties with England in those years. LOTS of ship traffic. LOTS of cotton and rice crossing the ocean to England. I have found pieces of this type of bottle in the Cooper River here in Charleston SC. I always find the bottom part. From a structural perspective I can see why the bottom has survived the years gone past.

Can anyone recommend a dive operator for a shark tooth dive in Venice FL? Anyone have a recent dive report for water temps? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom