Anybody have trouble kneeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DimSumDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there, new guy here from Hong Kong. I'm currently taking Naui OWC classes and now waiting for my 3rd pool class and then OW.

I have been reading through the threads and have absorbed a lot of good advice and tips and have put it to good use during my 2nd pool class. I had no problems doing my full mask clear based on advice given here. Thanks guys/gals!! :thumb:

The one thing that troubled me during my pool dives was kneeling on the bottom. I just could not do it. My upper body had a tendency to pitch forward forcing me to take knee steps forward to avoid falling over. Anybody have any advice to overcome this? I ended up having to stand to perform full mask clearing, octo breathing and buddy breathing.

John

ETA: After posting, noticed the 2003 post about kneeling below. Will try out the suggestions in my next pool class.

Hey John, welcome to SB. As a newbie too I think I remember what you are experiencing. You may be underweighted, try a few more pounds of weight. I know I will probably get slammed for this, but as a newbie staying down is not easy and learning basic skills are complicated by this. As you get more experience you will gain better bouancy and then be able to trim the weight you need to control this part of diving. But please talk with your instructor about this, he should be able to help you out much better as he is much closer to knowing what your exact situation is.
David

Overall, the pool dives were troublefree with the exception of keeling to practice the skills. I commented to the intructor about it and I moved the weights slightly towards the back, it was exactly on my sides previously. It did'nt work.

After struggling with it for some time, I just stood up and everything was okay. I continued practicing my skills that way.

do u have the problem of driffting or staying in one spot? or are u floating up?
try laying down on the pool... opening up your stance.. hay its your first time doing it they are not asking u to be used to it yet...

I just have trouble kneeling. My upper body tend to pitch forward forcing me to take knee steps to avoid falling over.

I will try the one knee approach in my next pool dive.

Thanks.

I'm also a newbie and in the same place of training as yourself. Are you using a weight belt or an integrated BCD/weight system? If you're using the latter, have some weights placed in the shoulderblade pockets (6-8 lbs 3-4 lbs each side). This will help you stay grounded as well as prevent the pitching forward that you are talking about...

They did this to my integrated BCD and it worked wonders!!

They have me using a weight belt and a regular BCD. I'll try some different postures to see if I can solve this problem of mine.

Either that or I'll be standing while performing the skills.

I remember having the same issue with my OW classes. I kneel on one knee, with my other leg bent and in front as a support. Very stable, had no problems after that.

kazinvan:
I remember having the same issue with my OW classes. I kneel on one knee, with my other leg bent and in front as a support. Very stable, had no problems after that.

I will probably try that in my next pool class.

Ever figured out why you were having this trouble? :06:

DimSumDiver:
I will probably try that in my next pool class.

Ever figured out why you were having this trouble?
Hmmm... No slams yet for doing skills on the bottom while kneeling? :06: :eyebrow:

I know exactly what you mean about pitching forward while kneeling on both knees. Why, I don't know... obviously has to do with weighting and buoyancy distribution. More weight -- I don't know -- may make it worse.

I agree with kazinvan and fishfood; don't do it on two knees. Rather, kneel on one knee, pretty far back; and then move your other foot pretty far forward into a steady, wide stance. Works real well.

Then, of course, don't get used to kneeling on the bottom! :D

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom