Anybody have trouble kneeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
Hmmm... No slams yet for doing skills on the bottom while kneeling? :06: :eyebrow:

--Marek

Well some one should huh...and reading this kind of stuff is so upsetting.

I've seen lots of students have trouble with this and it's one of the things that nudged me toward NOT having students kneel anymore. With some it was so hard to teach them to kneel only to have to turn around and try to teach them not to.

If you have to kneel put one knee down and the other foot out front.

How about let yourself fall forward and add a little air in the BC - which will move you into a fin pivot and as you get comfortable a little more air and you are hovering just like you should be.

*If you have enough weight to stand on the bottom the problem may be to much weight not to little, remove some weight and you may be better off.

You don't need more weight if you're not having trouble staying down. You're actually suppose to fall forward into a horizontal position for diving so don't feel too bad. For your pool sessions try leaning back along with some of the other tips you've been given. I had a heck of a time myself when I had to do it during my OW class. In fact I was so bad one of my classmates actually started laughing underwater after several of my failed attempts at trying to remain verticle while kneeling.:) But as Mike said you will be taught to "stay off the bottom" after that.:eyebrow: Good luck and Happy Diving!

japan-diver:
How about let yourself fall forward and add a little air in the BC - which will move you into a fin pivot and as you get comfortable a little more air and you are hovering just like you should be.

You learn other skills before you learn the hover, so telling someone just learning how to clear a mask, share air, etc. to attempt the skills while hovering is not good advice in my opinion. Open water students have enough on their mind, they don't need to start combining skills their first time in the ocean.

First of all, he/she is not in the ocean yet. They are still in the pool. Lots of time to learn.

More importantly, an OW student can definately learn to do their skills while hovering IF the instructor knows how to teach it AND is willing to take the time to do so. Don't believe me? See these pics: http://www.scubaguys.com/AprilClassFrame.htm

kazinvan:
You learn other skills before you learn the hover, so telling someone just learning how to clear a mask, share air, etc. to attempt the skills while hovering is not good advice in my opinion. Open water students have enough on their mind, they don't need to start combining skills their first time in the ocean.

I have no doubt that it's possible, however I don't think it should be recommended in all cases. I know several people in my OW class who had all kinds of problems with the mask removal/replacement drill. The instructor and DM took extra time to help these divers with their skills but they just had a hard time picking it up. Some people learn faster than others.

If you instructor is asking you to kneel on the bottom and perform a skill, I think it's better to kneel in a stable position rather than trying to do the skills while hovering while the rest of your class is still on the bottom.

If you have a small group of students who all "get it" then by all means, teach them at a faster rate and they will be better divers faster.

Marek K:
Hmmm... No slams yet for doing skills on the bottom while kneeling? :06: :eyebrow:

well, the guy has to do it as part of the class... no point going into it :wink:

i would say get through the kneeling anyway you can. it's not a "skill" you
will need in the real world of scuba

Try moving your tank several inches lower on the BC and your center of balance will move back and down.

H2Andy:
well, the guy has to do it as part of the class... no point going into it :wink:

i would say get through the kneeling anyway you can. it's not a "skill" you
will need in the real world of scuba
I like that answer.

OK, I'm talking to you again.

I know you've been real upset... :D

--Marek

kazinvan:

I don't know... the couple thousand of divers I have certified don't seem to have any problem doing it or the few hundred instructors that I have certified seem to be teaching quite a few more doing it that way. But hey maybe I'm wrong...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom