Anyone been to Lake Amistad lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to see some current conditions on the lake if anyone has them. I'm hoping to head down there the weekend after next.

John, you always GOTTA be the first one to a spot-------:rofl3::D:)

Man, we gotta get some S. Texas Swampers on board with us. I have never seen a trip report on this place. Just heard it was a great dive. Guess I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks. :)

John, you always GOTTA be the first one to a spot-------:rofl3::D:)

Man, we gotta get some S. Texas Swampers on board with us. I have never seen a trip report on this place. Just heard it was a great dive. Guess I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks. :)

Look forward to your report. :wink:

Same here, looking forward to that report (and not-so-cold temps). Only feel a bit envious you are going to beat me there :p

I'll definitely post something if I make it down there.
Same here, looking forward to that report (and not-so-cold temps). Only feel a bit envious you are going to beat me there :p

Carlos, I grew up in Del Rio and got my ow cert there in 78. Its a great lake to dive. Lots of cliffs and grottos. Lake is around 240ffw near the Dam. Amistad gets busy on weekends they have big Bass fishing contests. Other than that its never busy. Diablo east cliff area is a great walk in spot as well as there scuba park area on hwy 90 past the bridge.
Richard

Richard, how close and which side of the dam is this projected 240ffw point.......any coords. if on 'our' side?? HOW SAFE is the US/Mex drug wars at this point in this area? Thanks.....and--hows the custom knife business going?

Hello Alan, good to see you are recovering well. The 240ffw is found along the river bed area infront of the dam. You would need a boat to get to the river channel.
Its not like Mansfield dam, where you can swim out along the wall and hit deep water. It has a mile of riprap rock before you get to deep water.

The rough canyon area has water in the 160 ffw. Some nice cliffs and gottos. The old Devils river dam is still there but off limits to divers. Two divers died in the late 80s on the site. It would be a cool tech dive area, but this lake is a Fed lake, run by the National Park service. They will ticket you!!! If you try to dive it. I know trust me!!

Oh and there is an old farm house in about 50ffw cool site. I have been to it when the lake was 57 feet low. Parked the boat and walked to the house, neat place.

Amistad is much like Lake travis, but bigger, cleaner and less crowded. Del Rio has some great places to stay and great food. Its a fun town.

As for Mexico, well its Mexico. Enter at you own risk. There is plenty water on the USA side to keep divers happy. Im still busy doing the custom knife thing and keeping up with my 18 month old little girl.

Cheers, Richard Epting
www.eptingknives.com

Thanks for the great info, Richard.

John, if you firm things up and want company, let me know. Looks like a great dive, especially for Texas.

I am still interested in heading down for both rec and tech diving in the future.

I can't speak for the entire lake, just the area around Goodenough Springs. Water temps were in the 68 degree range from the surface to 155'. Visibility was 3'-5'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom