Anyone been to Lake Amistad lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Del Rio Dive Club president, Robert Wade, posted the following post on their website following a dive on veteran's day:

Well, all I can say is: AWEsome dive! We went off the cliffs at Castle Canyon, down to 110 ft. Visibility was better as we got deeper and it was great fun cruising along the cliffs. There's just nothing like looking along a majestic wall and looking down to see nothing. Breathtaking. Mark nailed our drop point...we dropped from the back of the boat immediately into the mouth of a huge cave. It just got better from there. I got to really put my Camaro 7mm wetsuit to a test and I'm really pleased with it. The temp was 66. I was also wearing 1mm gloves, 5mm boots with 1mm neoprene socks and just a doo-rag. I didn't feel like I needed a hood yet, but I think I would have liked my 3mm gloves.

A great dive!"

Hope this helps.

I just quickly checked put the Del Rio dive club page mentioned at the beginning of this thread and saw something interesting. And, kvalve, in case you didn't see this, here you go-

Quoted from the Del Rio dive club page:

"TIDBITS ABOUT AMISTAD:  Many of you have heard of Indian Springs. located up the Devil's River.  But have you heard of Goodenough Springs?  Back in the early 1900s the locals relied on the springs, then located up the Rio Grande, to power a waterwheel that fed water up the bluff to the surrounding land.  Of course, in 1968 they built a dam and created the Amistad Reservoir, which placed the springs well underwater.  What you may also not be aware of is that the spring still flows and that a team of technical divers began a project that culminated in dives in 2003 and 2005.  This project is called GSEP, the Goodenough Springs Exploration Project.  Their website is located at www.goodenoughsprings.org.  They have some fascinating photographs and detailed explanation of the project and the dives.  Also formerly known as Hinojosa Springs, it now is submerged in an average of 150ft of water, well below the depth of recreational divers.  In fact, as the GSEP website makes quite clear, it is one of the most dangerous cave dives in the world.  There is currently a permanent bouy marking its location and the GSEP team did extensive work to lay the guide lines through the cave and a Grim Reaper sign at its entrance.  It should go without saying, you should not attempt this dive unless you are certified in Cave Diving AND have had extensive experience and proper equipment.  This would include decompression stops and use of tri-mix tanks."

Back
Top Bottom