Anyone come across an electric eel while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually you can touch Electric Rays without getting shocked. If you watch their eyes they have a clear or milky film that will cover them, like sharks that have the protective cover when they attack, if they are in shock mode.

Once upon a time I was an Alabama boy living in Germany, traveling to Israel, and diving in the Egyptian Red Sea. I was noticing this funny animal shaped much like a tiny space ship and decided I wanted a picture. It was shy and I kept blocking its escape into a hole with my strobe. I kept asking myself - what kind of silly creature is this. Finally I put out my hand to block and the little creature told me in a language that could be understood anywhere, "I am an electric ray." (torpedo ray)

After that I respected his space.

i ran into an electric ray while snorkeling on the inside sound at Grand Cayman
(whatever that bay is called). he basically jetted off.

I almost got nailed by an electric eel when I worked in an aquarium due to an idiot knocking into the ladder I was standing on while I was feeding the eel. Yanked my hand out of the tank just in time to hear "SNAP!!!" from the voltmeter on the 'public' side of the tank.

Never even seen an electric ray, though I know some people will touch them to "see how much it hurts".

Ishie:
Never even seen an electric ray, though I know some people will touch them to "see how much it hurts".
No doubt, that would be the same ones that as kids probably stuck things into wall recepticles or light sockets,I'm sure.:D

I dared students from my class last fall to touch a torpedo ray we'd trawled up. It was interesting to note the progressive reduction in shock strength over time. After the 4th person didn't "feel anything", suddenly everyone wanted to touch the critter.

But did anyone want to handle the stingray? No. Pansies, all of them.

I recently saw a show called the amazon abyss or something like that and they were saying the electric eel has something like 600volts.
What they didn't mention was amps.
Anybody have any idea what that might value be?

On another note; I was watching my daughter playing with the cutest little purple ray at Del Monte Beach several years ago.
Nice little thing about 8" round.
It was swimming from her one hand to her other hand (kinda like the way one would harrass a little creature) and then the look on her face when it shocked the hell out of her was just priceless.
Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom