Anyone dive Bira recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boletus1973

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have planned a month's vacation in sulawesi next August and I felt like trying to visit the South(never been there).
I'd like to visit Bira, which I've heard about, but there's actually little information on the web ... has anyone been there recently?
it would be unpleasant to plan 10 days in the area and find out that the dives are bad ...
I hope someone knows something ...
thank you so much
fabio

We will be going in 2 weeks time. Staying at Baracoco Bungalows and diving with South Sulawesi Divers. So will be able to tell you about it when we come back.

We will be going in 2 weeks time. Staying at Baracoco Bungalows and diving with South Sulawesi Divers. So will be able to tell you about it when we come back.

Hi Angel, thanks for the answer, at the moment, due to the lack of reliable information, we changed route making the togian and central sulawesi .... but next time we would like to go further south ... we will wait your return to find out more about diving there.
thank you !!!
fabio

Think August would have been bad timing anyway, with the winds coming from the South-East.

Think August would have been bad timing anyway, with the winds coming from the South-East.

thanks Indah ... I know it's not the best time .... but unfortunately I can only travel in August .. :-(
I also booked in central sulawesi at the tompotika, where it is also there low season for the wind.
finger crossed... :-D

Hello Fabio,

Been south of Sulawesi and Pantai Bira once in August although that was 15 years ago.
The choice of accoms was quite poor, slept with rats running above my hear and the supposed dive center wasn't even open, I wouldn't go back and like Indah said this is not the best moment of the year. So I moved to Makassar and dived the fishless Spermondes off Makassar which I do not recommend neither.

Some people travel down south to Pulau Hoga for diving Wakatobi area at budget rates with Hoga island dive resort. I don't know whether it's feasible in august, looks like but....

Here's a report from Tompotika in august from a very reliable person I know. You just have to translate it.
Plonger en Indonésie loin des foules

Hello Fabio,

Been south of Sulawesi and Pantai Bira once in August although that was 15 years ago.
The choice of accoms was quite poor, slept with rats running above my hear and the supposed dive center wasn't even open, I wouldn't go back and like Indah said this is not the best moment of the year. So I moved to Makassar and dived the fishless Spermondes off Makassar which I do not recommend neither.

Some people travel down south to Pulau Hoga for diving Wakatobi area at budget rates with Hoga island dive resort. I don't know whether it's feasible in august, looks like but....

Here's a report from Tompotika in august from a very reliable person I know. You just have to translate it.
Plonger en Indonésie loin des foules

Ciao Luko.... :)
https://translate.google.com/?tr=t&hl=it
this year it was more complicated to organize the trip, a lot of places do not have reliable reviews... in the end I discarded bira ... and I decided to go back to togian after 11 years ... in 2007 the diving was very nice ... I hope that "UNA UNA" volcano will not make me regret ...
I had already read the tompotika review, you posted it somewhere, thank you, I did not know anything about it
I also wrote to the author after seeing that she has been at the coraleye several times like me ...
the place seems promising, inexpensive and uncrowded ... I really like this ... I'll let you know how it will go !!!
Thanks!!

https://translate.google.com/?tr=t&hl=it

Hi I am living in Surabaya, East Java and am trying to decide if I have enough time / money to go to both Bira and Bunaken, especially given the distances between the two. I have holiday in June.How did you find the diving in Bira when you went? Have you also been to Bunaken and if so how did the two compare?

Thanks

Michaela

Hi I am living in Surabaya, East Java and am trying to decide if I have enough time / money to go to both Bira and Bunaken, especially given the distances between the two. I have holiday in June.How did you find the diving in Bira when you went? Have you also been to Bunaken and if so how did the two compare?

Thanks

Michaela

Haven't been to Bira, but was at Bunaken last Oct for a week of diving. It's mostly wall diving with very healthy corals. (and way too many turtles... :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom