Anyone else have problems with there goggles leaking all the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayG

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried 3 or 4 sets of goggles and can not seem to find one the will make a good seal to my face. I have to clear my goggles every 10-15 minutes and it’s pretty annoying.

The guy at the dive shop said I have a “narrow” face and that is what most likely is causing the problem. Anyone know of a place to buy narrow faced goggles?

Before someone says it, I keep my goggles lose…. Its not because they are too tight.

Just have to go around to dive shops & try on every mask you find. I have a problem with mask fit. Take your regulator with you. When you find some masks that fit well, try them again with your reg in your mouth. Doing that cut my options in half.

FWIW, I ended up with a Scubapro Crystalview, and there is another SP mask that's very similar I've since tried on that fits even better.

But you have to try on every bloody mask you find, no matter how ugly or what color, in order to narrow it down to ones that will work.

You may even have to try smaller masks designed for kids.

When I first started diving I had a similar issue and it was very annoying and actually spoiled the fun for a few salt water dives. I worked around it by trying on a lot of masks, in a lot of sizes and eventually picking one that felt good and had a built-in purge valve. This way I could easily purge the mask with one hand, without having to lift it at all. During the process, the people at my dive shop were great and they let me take several rental masks to the pool to try out different models and sizes.

Cheers!

I second the try on every different mask suggestion. I wanted a mask like the Cressi Big Eyes but it didn't seal very good for me. I liked my old mask, Scubapro Tri View, for several different reasons especially since I could see past the 180* mark with it when looking for a buddy swimming a little behind me. The only thing I didn't like was the downward visablilty, I couldn't see anything on my bc or my toes when standing straight up. I found the sherwood magnum 6 while cruising the dive shops. I havn't got to use it yet but will in 2 weekends. I is about the same as the scubapro but has 2 windows on the bottom skirt of the mask for looking down to give me the downward vis I really want. So I say try every mask you can I had to go to 4 different dive shops in the area but found something I liked that wasn't what I initially wanted but may be better for me.

I have a SP CoolVue that you can have, its pretty small, single pane. Was probably someone's pocket mask, I found it at a Seattle dive park couple years ago.

The Mares Seta is also a small, narrow mask.

However.

If the mask(s) you have sealed when you're on land, but then you find it's leaking underwater, it's possible that you're exhaling through your nose, in which case, everytime you do that, you're breaking the seal and letting in water. Next time you dive, try to be super conscious of whether you're exhaling through the nose.

Good luck!

Try the Aqualung technisub. I have the black skirt it seems to have a bit more skirt then several other masks i own and its very soft. Forcing water intot he mask is actually hard and it clears REALLY easy to do a mask fill i have to physically pull about 3/4 of the mask to get it to flood. compaired to my last 3 that seemed to weep water almost constantly.

My suggestion is to really spend some time trouble shooting to see if you can tell physically what it is that is causing that mask to leak. Just saying that you have a narrow face may not really answer all of the questions you need to know in order to find a properly fitting (non-leaking) mask. If you can say, “my mask leaks here, because” then you can look for masks with features that will attenuate those issues causing the leaks.
Forget about brands, color and anything else that does not directly address the issues causing the mask to leak.

I have two masks. One that fits great in the dive shop and one that fits great under water.
The first mask I bought fit great in the shop but when I would go under water it seemed to ride up on my face, press on my nose and leak a bit. I then went to the dive shop and looked for a mask that felt like it could ride up a bit and still seal ok. I found one and it didn’t feel that great in the shop but it is great under water.
Good luck,
Jeffrey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom