Anyone else with a spouse that won't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just can't understand how someone could like snorkeling, but not diving. To me, a snorkeler is just a diver with no air. It's kind of like....ordering a pizza, and just eating the big fat crust around the outside, while leaving the GOOD part of the pizza behind. Ugh.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
nd

My BF certified in 72, when a bunch of people certified so they could get their tanks filled. The problem, he hasn't dived for about 10 years. When I pointed out to him that a lot of couples I meet on dive trips do a lot of things together, he listened.

So a few weeks ago I told him I wanted to take him to the Bahamas over Thanksgiving 09. He said he didn't think he could afford it unless he gets a job (he is retired) and I said no problem, I'll pay for it. Since he doesn't even want me to pay for dinner, it may not work. But at least he's talking about it.

I think it may be that I have so much fun diving. He forgot how good it is.

PS - I'm going to be retired in 2 years 5 months and 1 day. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I just can't understand how someone could like snorkeling, but not diving. To me, a snorkeler is just a diver with no air. It's kind of like....ordering a pizza, and just eating the big fat crust around the outside, while leaving the GOOD part of the pizza behind. Ugh.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
nd

I think it has to do with not being comfortable under the water, either having problems with the breathing or something else that makes you afraid or at least uncomfortable.

The interest for the marine life down there is shared. We always discuss what we have seen and look it up in fish id or creature id books.

I think my husband would be able to dive, if he only gave it some time and tried to practise again, in shallow water, without stress. He just need to get the hang of it. But right now, he doesn't want to, so I can't force him. My plan is to share all the wonderful things I see, and make him envious of me:D. I have noticed that he sometimes also wants to see more than from the surface. So maybe in the future...who knows.

A buddy of mine is really big into some technical diving, but his wife doesn't dive. She has tried, but the innate fears newbie diving just seem to be too big for her. So, she has learned how to become a rather talented equipment handeler and surface support person. She loves it and it is quite nice to have someone who you know is always there and 100% capable of handeling diving emercencies to on-the-spot equipment repair...

Just a thought....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom