Anyone ever hear of tank rolling after mixed gas fill??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruehlt

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok - I'm going to come out and admit it - I've never seen this before..... ever. UNTIL we got our tanks filled at a PADI dive center down in West Palm Beach somewhere.

For those of you who don't know what I mean - after a NITROX fill, the lady who filled the tank proceeded to lay the tank down on its side, and roll it with her foot! She claimed that it helped the gases inside "mix better." :icorolley

Anyone else ever experience this? I can't believe they actually did this....

I've heard of people doing this. The idea is that the friction from the tank walls and gas help to stir the mix. You stir your kool-aid after adding the powder, right?

I think the one method that everyone will agree on is that letting it sit for a few hours will get it to mix by diffusion. Although I've heard urban legends that helium mixes will seperate after a long period of time.

Personally, I think the method could work, but I think that you would have to spin it much longer than a couple of kicks on the floor.

Just remember to analyze your mixes before you dive them.

I usually pick up the tank and shake it, works better for me.

:dance: :jump013: :sprite10:

I really dont know, but I thought it was funny too.

The person who filled your tank was either pulling your leg or is stupid. If they were actual serious then find another shop to fill your tanks. Do they role a normal air fill, after all it also has "Mixed Gas." Nitox just has a different percentage of what a normal air fill would contain.

This is more common than you think. And it's just as absurd as you think. Molecules pinging around inside the tank aren't likely to segregate themselves into nice layers...

Has anyone actually analyzed a partial-pressure blended tank immediately after filling and then again a little while later to see if maybe this does actually make a difference?

Perhaps some owner got tired of pulling the leg of his newbie divers.

LOL! That's a good one......also bear in mind that when you top off that partial mix tank with air, the speed and force that air enters the tank will do a lot better job of mixing the contents then a size 5 ladies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom