Anyone ever hear of tank rolling after mixed gas fill??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shake my tank until the marble rattles around freely for 45 seconds. When I took my Nitrox class we were taught to roll them around. Thought that was sort of silly.

pants!:
Has anyone actually analyzed a partial-pressure blended tank immediately after filling and then again a little while later to see if maybe this does actually make a difference?

I've tried this and it does make a small improvement, although it isn't as effective as letting them sit overnight. Shooting air in at higher speeds isn't recommended when blending over 40%. When I mix 50%, I flow the air at slow rates and if I measure the tank right away, it will read roughy 30%. If I spin it a few times, it will read in the 40's. Again, I think that there is some truth, but to be effective, you'd probably have to spin it pretty quickly for several minutes.

I usually let my (partial pressure) mixes sit for a few hours before I measure.

do it easy:
I've tried this and it does make a small improvement, although it isn't as effective as letting them sit overnight. Shooting air in at higher speeds isn't recommended when blending over 40%. When I mix 50%, I flow the air at slow rates and if I measure the tank right away, it will read roughy 30%. If I spin it a few times, it will read in the 40's. Again, I think that there is some truth, but to be effective, you'd probably have to spin it pretty quickly for several minutes.

I usually let my (partial pressure) mixes sit for a few hours before I measure.
Have you compared the difference in measurements when you spin for a few minutes versus letting it sit for the same amount of time? Not that I have, I'm just curious as to the difference...

This is done frequently with industrial gas mixtures (for fire suppression, etc), if the cyilders have been sitting for a long period of time in excessivly cold temperatures (ie sitting outsied for a Canadian winter), especially if the gasses have very different partial pressures, densities, etc. I really doubt it's required for a scuba tank that was just filled.

teknitroxdiver:
Have you compared the difference in measurements when you spin for a few minutes versus letting it sit for the same amount of time? Not that I have, I'm just curious as to the difference...

I suppose using a control tank would make the result more meaningful. I think the one time I tried this, there might have been 15-20 minutes from initial measure to final measurement, although I wasn't spinning it the entire time. I would guess that I spun it for about 1 minute. If I believe these numbers, than I would guess it has some merit, but next time I'm mixing two sets of 50%, I'll run a controlled experiment.

Do it easy,

Did the thought ever occure to you that due to the temp increase that is created during the fill may have an impact on the reading your getting right after the fill vs a few mins later when the tank may have cooled just a bit?

GeekDiver:
Do it easy,

Did the thought ever occure to you that due to the temp increase that is created during the fill may have an impact on the reading your getting right after the fill vs a few mins later when the tank may have cooled just a bit?

I would guess that the temperature change from going from 3000 psi to ambient will cool the gas much more than the few degrees it will drop from just sitting there.

If I'm not mistaken, temperature and relative humidity will affect most O2 sensors, but I don't think that the temperate drop from the tank cooling will raise the reading from 30% to 40%

Anyone have any info on this? Or maybe any experience with partial pressure blending in a water bath?

do it easy:
I would guess that the temperature change from going from 3000 psi to ambient will cool the gas much more than the few degrees it will drop from just sitting there.

If I'm not mistaken, temperature and relative humidity will affect most O2 sensors, but I don't think that the temperate drop from the tank cooling will raise the reading from 30% to 40%

Anyone have any info on this? Or maybe any experience with partial pressure blending in a water bath?
How did draining to ambient enter the equation?

I sincerely doubt that shaking does anything at all. This is not a liquid where shaking it would do any good. Paint sprays actualy have liquid in them that is why you should shake them. The reason for the diffrent readings are probably due to the temperature of the gas (more active molecules appear more frequently on sensors).

Back
Top Bottom