Anyone ever purchased from these guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Genesis, you've got a Vytec, right? Have you ever had the kind of problems when hanging at the surface that SeaJay hypothesized above?

TIA,

Rick

The Vytec doesn't beep if you are out of water, where did you hear that from... you turn the gauge on, and pressurize your tank, it beeps once when the code is locked in, that's it. If you walk away from your tank you will lose the code, but if you stay within about six feet of the tank, I have had no problems losing contact, and that bit about being on the surface with the gauge underwater, that's a crock of cr@p! It doesn't loose contact, and doesn't beep!! Your decision was not based on reality, but hey, its your decision. The Vytec in gauge mode is great; with a big minutes and seconds display in the middle of the screen, where the "computer" info is usually. We are talking big digits, easy to see. It resets with the push of a button for deco, with total bottom time displayed in the bottom rt. corner, across from your back gas pressure reading, on the lt. bottom corner. I use an SPG, it is needed for air share / communication with buddies, and its reliability, but I like seeing remaining gas pressure when I look at my BT for other important info. If its going to be a while before diving and I'm wandering around away from my kit, I will pressurize before going in the water, not when I leave the dock. How many different times did you change your mind over this??:D

I am the one who experienced the pressure gauge "losing its mind" when my wrist was out of the water and the tank was underneath - only once, and only for a few seconds - it resync'd as soon as I moved my arm back around the other side of my body without any ado.

BTW, it won't "freak" if you walk out of range on the surface. If the wrist unit is not in the water, it just goes back to "SETC" mode, and waits. You then "pair" it again (by putting the wrist unit up to the transmitter) and it re-establishes communications. No button presses necessary. The only time it will raise a stink is if you're in the WATER and it loses contact.

If no gas is being consumed for about 5 minutes the transmitter shuts off. ON LAND (dry) the wrist unit will go back to "SETC". Take a breath, the transmitter powers back up (you DO check your reg before getting in the water, right?!), put your wrist back by your valve for a second or two, and you're sync'd up. Glance, make sure you see pressure, and go ahead and jump in.

If you switch to a buddy's reg underwater the transmitter will shut down after 5 minutes, but the wrist unit DOES NOT reset its code. The display will, after a couple of minutes, show the last pressure received alternating with "FAIL" (no transmission). As soon as you take a breath the transmitter powers back up and goes back to normal.

I like the wireless transmitter. Everything is in the same place - on my wrist - and instantly accessible. You KNOW its working, because there is a little lightning bolt that flashes every time the unit receives a valid pressure transmission. A glance at the face of the computer shows you both that its working and what the current pressure is.

Very accurate, very nice, all in one place.

I like my Vytec a lot.

Thanks for the clarification Genesis and Jeff.

SeaJay, I think you may have overthought yourself on this one. But hey, the Vyper is a great computer (oops), scuse me, Bottom Timer too. :wink: :thumb:

JeffAustin once bubbled...
How many different times did you change your mind over this??:D

Actually, once. I did ask a lot of questions for several weeks, though.

Let me get this straight... You use both a SPG and an AI computer? Why both?

SPG's are pretty bulletproof, and it's easy to show buddies what's going on with air sharing, etc... Regarding the Vytec: I use it as a bottom timer, in gauge mode, with the transmitter to give me tank pressure at a glance when checking depth or dive time, and to record tank pressures for logbook applications. I don't use the computer or remaining air time features, that's what your brain is for. So, my application is not "air integrated computer" but redundant gas pressure and logbook. Personally, I really like the big numbers when in gauge mode, and even though I would never dive without an SPG, having that info(tank pressure) available when I look at the Vytec is convenient; kind of like having your fuel gauge next to your speedometer, instead of clipped to your driver side outside mirror.

I made my decision and paid via PayPal on Saturday. I sent him an email asking him to please let me know that he received the money and that he was sending my stuff.

I got an email from him (first thing Monday) that said that he'd recieved the money and that he was sending my stuff out. He told me that he'd email me with more information as he got it, like FedEx tracking number and such.

Tonight I got this email from him, right on schedule:

Hi Seajay,

We had packed your purchases which is 1pc of Suunto Vyper, 1pc Suunto Wrist SK7 compass and 1pc of Suunto interface for Vyper.

We had also called Fedex and they will be here in our office to pick up the package in about 2hrs time. Here the airwaybill number 838774476285.On our side we will also keep an eye on this airwaybill.

Once again, thank you very much for the business.

Best Regards,

Eric Yeo
www.ass.com.sg

So far, I'm pretty impressed. He's been totally honest and forthright, had the best prices by far, and has done everything that he said he'd do. In all, so far, so good.

I'll keep you updated... Let's just say that he seems to be an excellent source for cheap Suunto products. Did you guys see that price on the software? $85! That's about half of what everyone else is charging.

Like I said, I'll keep you posted. At these prices, I might end up buying the Vytec, too, and selling whichever one is "second" in my book. Heck, at this price, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if I actually made money on it at Ebay. :D

I'll let y'all know if I get the goods promised, and in good condition.

SeaJay once bubbled...

I'll keep you updated... Let's just say that he seems to be an excellent source for cheap Suunto products. Did you guys see that price on the software? $85! That's about half of what everyone else is.

SeaJay,

Why would you pay for a piece of software you can get on line from SUUNTO for free? And if you go to http://www.athenshomesolutions.com/ you will find a MUCH BETTER deal on the interface than $85. You can either build it yourself or buy it prebuilt. I just sent mine to Jamie to replace the pins with an updated spring pin set he now stocks. His product is top quality and worth much more than you pay.

If you are really looking to save money, buy this interface from Jamie, and skip the OEM product.

SMKChef once bubbled...

SeaJay,

Why would you pay for a piece of software you can get on line from SUUNTO for free?

Well, you're right... It's actually a kit, not just the software. It includes the whole harness assembly and all.

And if you go to http://www.athenshomesolutions.com/ you will find a MUCH BETTER deal on the interface than $85. You can either build it yourself or buy it prebuilt. I just sent mine to Jamie to replace the pins with an updated spring pin set he now stocks. His product is top quality and worth much more than you pay.

Well, I didn't know that Jamie was building these, or I might have considered it. I do, however, see value in purchasing the Suunto-recommended equipment, though. I see value in that over something that I would build myself.

If you are really looking to save money, buy this interface from Jamie, and skip the OEM product.

Too late! :) What's Jamie asking for his product? Frankly, for the $50 I might save, I think I'd be interested in actually having the Suunto product. If I was paying retail (what... $179??) then it might be a different story.

But the real money savings came in when I purchased the computer. My LDS gave me a "good" price of $1200 for the Vytec and $480 for the Vyper. The software was $179, I believe. Heck, even the SK-7 was $85! In all, I could have spent $744 by purchasing from my LDS... And instead spent $410, a savings of $334! That's nearly half price! And this isn't someone's home built, knockoff version... This is the same product!

If I'd purchased the Vytec, I'd have saved a whopping $644, just by purchasing through this guy! It's even a couple-hundred less than Leisurepro!

I wasn't looking to cut corners... I was looking for a great price on the OEM product.

Not to say that Jamie's stuff isn't any good... I have no idea... I just wanted Suunto's brand name stuff... And I didn't want to build it myself. Like I said, I had no idea that Jamie was making them on a regular basis anyway.

Back
Top Bottom