Anyone ever solo under ice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Soloed once under ice, it was from shore and where a spring kept the ice from freezing. Just wanted to see how ice diving was. Found out it would be nearly imposable to find a hole without a line. Ice from underneath looks like one big grey cloud.

Sounds like an opportunity for a Darwin award. Somehow, overhead environments and solo just don't pass this gal's common sense test.

I have an acquaintance who says hes has done so, tethered with the usual support team.

Another local individual did an untethered dive from shore and never made it back. Story

Pete

Thanks, Spectrum!

<out of Thanks clicks>

Jax and Spectrum....Didn't expect a ''atta boy'' from anyone. Actually find solo under ice, from a ''clear space on shore''. Less of a risk than solo wreck penetration. :idk:

That makes no sense at all. I do solo and I do wrecks. I also have an ice certification and will be assisting with an ice class and hopefully two this winter. Solo in a wreck is dangerous but to me less so than solo under ice. Unless I really screw up the vis in a wreck I have a pretty clear idea of where I'm going and how to get back. Corridors, signs, doors, etc. And I'm using a line. Under ice, solo, no tender on the surface. Ice can shift. A hole can disappear. If one cannot see the bottom that big grey cloud can start to look the same. Snow can melt or be blown off an area that is 4 inches thick or more and make you think that its the open spot. But it is not. Cold water can cause a freeflow that may empty your tank before you reach the hole. No buddy, no redundant air, no tender to pull your ass back at top speed when you give them the signal. Stupid move in my book. But then maybe not. Gives the fisherman something to snag other than a log in the spring. I'm also guessing no ice training. If there were and it was done right the thought would never even occur. What happens if the shore entry point collapses? What if getting in or out you fall and slip under the ice? What warming facilities are available? Better have something. Darwin loves this kind of poor judgment.

This is a forum on SOLO DIVING....What if? I wouldn't endorse it! Darwin's gona weed your kind out! If someone posts he or she Solo Cavedives am I going to make an ASS of myself by stating all the obvious WHAT IFS?

:hm: I wonder......

This is a forum on SOLO DIVING....What if? I wouldn't endorse it! Darwin's gona weed your kind out! If someone posts he or she Solo Cavedives am I going to make an ASS of myself by stating all the obvious WHAT IFS?

Looks like so far, the answer to your question "Anyone ever solo under ice?" is only you.

I'm a solo diver but have never solo dived under ice. The thought kind of skeers me, it does. But then I also have no ice diving training.

Back
Top Bottom