Anyone Familiar with Zeagle Express Tech BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have mine set up with an XS scuba weight pouch on each cam band. The bands run in opposite directions so they allow the pocket to set right up next to back of the bc with one on each side. Put a 2 or 3 pounder in each one and it;s no different than my BPW weighting and trim wise. I added a dring to each shoulder and one on each hip. Also replaced the plastic buckle with a steel one just because. I use it for all pool work and as a simple travel rig. Add a DR thigh pocket on the left side for those times when I'm not in an exposure suit and BAM! It's the SHIZZLE!

Attachments

• 100_0332.jpg
    100_0332.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 475
  • 100_0331.jpg
    100_0331.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 480
  • 100_0330.jpg
    100_0330.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 429
Wifey and both just got these and had 'em in the pool for the first time yesterday and we love 'em. Better than every jacket-type "fancy" BCD I've tried. The basic Express Tech model is discontinued, so they only sell the "Deluxe" model, but we just stripped off the deluxe harness and replaced it with simple 2" strap, metal buckle, a d-ring on each shoulder, one on the left hip and a Dive Rite pocket on the right side. Also got the Zip Touch weight pockets and those little guys are AWESOME.

TLDR version: Simply the best BCD I've used. It's simple, durable, compact, light and very well-built.

Oh yeah - The 24lb lift bladder should work for us for every foreseeable tropical dive scenario.

I just set one of these up for diving in Mexico. Similar setup to what's already been listed with 24# wing, Zip touch weight pockets, crotch strap and D-rings. I added a pair of Zeagle trim weight pockets to the shoulder straps, where they attach to the plate. I also added a loop of bungee cord by each D-ring to secure dangly things like my flash light and SMB. Any shorts I use for diving have pockets, so I didn't add one to my harness.

Wifey and both just got these and had 'em in the pool for the first time yesterday and we love 'em. Better than every jacket-type "fancy" BCD I've tried. The basic Express Tech model is discontinued, so they only sell the "Deluxe" model, but we just stripped off the deluxe harness and replaced it with simple 2" strap, metal buckle, a d-ring on each shoulder, one on the left hip and a Dive Rite pocket on the right side. Also got the Zip Touch weight pockets and those little guys are AWESOME.

TLDR version: Simply the best BCD I've used. It's simple, durable, compact, light and very well-built.

Oh yeah - The 24lb lift bladder should work for us for every foreseeable tropical dive scenario.

Would you be interested in selling one of the harnesses?

---------- Post added February 10th, 2014 at 06:22 PM ----------

I'm new to diving, and considering purchasing some gear. I'm a minimalist at heart, and feel like the bp/w type rig would be right for me. I was certified using a larger steel bp/w and had no issues.

I came across thiz zeagle setup which looks pretty cheap for a full setup. Anyone hear anything good or bad about this product?

Also, I'm 6'1'' and ~200lbs; anyone know if I would need a larger wing than what comes on this model? (comes with 24lb compact bladder).

Finally, there is an option for Zeagle rear weight pockets. I'm not familiar with rear weight pockets.. are they better/worse/different from front weight pockets? What would be the ideal weight distribution/setup for a rig like this?

If anyone wants to check out the setup, scubatoys has it.

Thanks,
Mike

What kind of diving do you do? If you are looking at doing cold water diving then 24 lbs may be a bit light. You would be better off with a wing in the 30 lb range. If you do strictly tropical diving then an Express Tech is the way to go.

A few things to think about. The wing is a single bladder design which is great for packing but could be easier to puncture. I would not recommend doing wreck penetrations with it but for a reef it would be fine.

The inflator hose is too long in my opinion. I would prefer a shorter corrugated hose.

The design has changed a bit since Netdoc reviewed it and the U Tube video was posted. The new design makes it a pita to disassemble for travel. If you do not need to disassemble it then disregard this.

Yes it takes pockets either the zip touch or the rip cord. I have the zip touch.

It may sound that I am critical but I am not. For the price there is no better travel bcd out there. However it is not perfect.

I was an early ETD adopter and still love it after all these years.

Got mine with a #30 donut. Probably overkill for my exclusively warm water diving but sure looks and works sweet and can't be much bulkier or heavier than a #24. Ended up removing some of the "deluxe" pads but the back pad's a definite keeper. Played with the configuration until I eventually settled on the perfect setup for me and haven't changed a thing in years. Packs small and light, works great.

Looking at Jim's setup above, I think I will swap my plastic buckle for a steel one for the same reason.

As NetDoc's original thread title predicted in his review, the ETD's the last and only BCD I'll ever need (or want).

Here ya go! I was reading this thread just the other day, should answer a few questions for you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html

Joe

I ended up buying a zeagle express tech after reading through that linked thread. I really like the BC. I did upgrade to a 30# doughnut wing though. The stock wing that comes with the express tech is rather thin, and this particular BC gets treated...harshly. I'm 6'3 and 225, and I have no problems with it. Even with the smaller stock wing, however, this would be enough lift. I like the shoulder straps with it, but I've found that the back pad is really not necessary

Just to update - Wifey and I have put about 40 dives each on our Zeagle ETs in Roatan and Cayman this year and we still love them to death. It really is the perfect tropical water dive rig. I dive in shorts and a rash guard with 3lbs in each zip-touch pocket and maybe 2lbs on the top tank band and it feels real close to diving with nothing.

We haven't done any shore diving with these, but for boat dives, there's no need for any back pad or extra padding in the harnesses. No need for a chest strap. Basically I leave the shoulder straps pretty loose and the crotch strap holds the whole rig on. It's really easy to adjust for maximum comfort when underwater.

If I could find some travel fins I like, basically, I could pack this BCD and all the rest of my dive gear in a carry on along with clothes for a week and not have to check baggage.

And finally, we did some lake dives with our LDS (they sell only Aqualung gear) and got some weird looks from many of those guys with their $800 i3 BCDs, but I feel much more free and comfortable in the water with my minimalist rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom