Anyone flown with Solomons Air or Air Vanuatu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jorgie6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the process of planning a summer 2018 trip via Fiji Airways from LAX to the Solomon Islands via Nadi Fiji then on to Vanuatu. I've found lots of information on this site for travel with Fiji Airways...it is what it is! I plan to weigh my bags and have the appropriate amount of stress over my carryons. :wink: Has anyone out there had experience with Solomons Airlines or Air Vanuatu? We plan to make excursion flights to Munda, Solomon Islands and Espiritu Santo in Vanuatu. We're planning to rent regs & BCs because of weight restrictions. I have camera gear that is on the heavy side, has anyone had any issues with carryon weight allowances for domestic flights on either of these airlines? I have a Pelican case, but really don't want to include it in my checked baggage. Has anyone checked in a Pelican case on either of these airlines...any issues?

Yes - both. Solomons my flight back was paid for so can't remember sorry but last in Vanuatu around thus time last year. If you are flying directly into Santo and nowhere else in Vanuatu you will probably be on a standard size international plane so no dramas with your heavy gear and excess. If you're flying Solomons to Santo on an ATR you are best off contacting Air Vanuatu service desk - they're really helpful - for more info. If you haven't booked dives yet I can highly recommend Coral Quays for the Coolidge and $M Point

Air Vanuatu: Baggage Fees and Policy - SeatGuru

Contact us via phone, email or make your booking online now | Air Vanuatu

In the process of planning a summer 2018 trip via Fiji Airways from LAX to the Solomon Islands via Nadi Fiji then on to Vanuatu. I've found lots of information on this site for travel with Fiji Airways...it is what it is! I plan to weigh my bags and have the appropriate amount of stress over my carryons. :wink: Has anyone out there had experience with Solomons Airlines or Air Vanuatu? We plan to make excursion flights to Munda, Solomon Islands and Espiritu Santo in Vanuatu. We're planning to rent regs & BCs because of weight restrictions. I have camera gear that is on the heavy side, has anyone had any issues with carryon weight allowances for domestic flights on either of these airlines? I have a Pelican case, but really don't want to include it in my checked baggage. Has anyone checked in a Pelican case on either of these airlines...any issues?
Just got back from solomons and flew solomons air from Australia had no probem's/ issues and in fact had the best inflight service I've had for years , biggest problem with solomon air is they have very limited schedule and planes so if anything goes wrong then they cant just provide another flight you should check the flight schedules from and to the solomons-you may find it affects your schedule/plans

Did you make t to Santo?

How was the Solomons diving and what sitesmdid you hit up?

Did you make t to Santo?

How was the Solomons diving and what sitesmdid you hit up?
hi - we spent 13 days there had a ball- did all the usuals B-1 B-2 B-17 John Penn _Kanawa x2 Moa catalinas Wildcats Aaron Ward x3 , twin tunnels -found a new wreck site - a wild cat and a landing craft so we spent some time trying to find an ID tag but to no avail.
Didn't make ti too santo maybe next time ill stop off fro a dive on the way back - heading back again next year with the same group - we did an penetration dive on the the Uss kanawa which was the highlight fro me.
Got out eye on the atlanta but will ned a few build up dives for that

I've made two trips to the Solomons. Solomons Air is okay internationally, but for domestic travel it is one of the most capricious airlines I've ever seen. Departure times can change suddenly with no notice so call two hours before your flight; one of my flights left an hour early (5:30 a.m. instead of 6:30; thank goodness I was already up and ready to go) and I made it with just 20 minutes to spare. Another time the pilot offloaded me and my bags at an airstrip as he was rerouted to a different island, and assured me he would be back to get me in about 45 minutes (he did). There are more examples but you get the idea...

Because the domestic flights are on small planes, they are strict on weights and will weigh both you and your luggage.

I've made two trips to the Solomons. Solomons Air is okay internationally, but for domestic travel it is one of the most capricious airlines I've ever seen. Departure times can change suddenly with no notice so call two hours before your flight; one of my flights left an hour early (5:30 a.m. instead of 6:30; thank goodness I was already up and ready to go) and I made it with just 20 minutes to spare. Another time the pilot offloaded me and my bags at an airstrip as he was rerouted to a different island, and assured me he would be back to get me in about 45 minutes (he did). There are more examples but you get the idea...

Because the domestic flights are on small planes, they are strict on weights and will weigh both you and your luggage.

There has been lots of improvements in Solomon Air in the last 24 months. They have a new CEO and ground operations manager who are both great. They have made improvements to a number of the air strips and Munda, one of the regional strips, has been upgraded to international and flights direct from Brisbane will be coming in starting April next year. In addition, if you fly on a domestic flight on the same day as an international - you can get international luggage allowances which is pretty key for divers!

Just got back from solomons and flew solomons air from Australia had no probem's/ issues and in fact had the best inflight service I've had for years , biggest problem with solomon air is they have very limited schedule and planes so if anything goes wrong then they cant just provide another flight you should check the flight schedules from and to the solomons-you may find it affects your schedule/plans
Starting April next year - the Solomon Air is planning international flights between Brisbane and Munda - that will help with both your travel planning and your international luggage allowances.
Be sure to check out Belinda at Dive Munda while you are there. She is the owner of the place and is fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom