Anyone get sick with Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure -Diving is a safe sport- is also echoed by all dive fatalities.

The dives were safe and well above the limits for Nitrox 36 and O2 was monitored, yes mistakes do happen and you can only prevent what you have control of.

During lobster mini season, last week, a diver died after three approx 100 foot dives on Nitrox and convulsing underwater. Authorities investigating the cause of death.
Talk about O2 toxicity!!!!

Or maybe they're simply exhausted after all the divings? Yes, less than 75-ft depth, but how long? I'll bet an hour underwater each time would exhaust most persons.

I'm new to nitrox. Have 25 dives on air first. Last two times out I used nitrox. Two different cities/dive shops/water conditions/mixes -32 and 34/different depths - 50-60 and 75-85. Both times, during the surface interval I felt nausea - like seasickness, but I do not usually experience that, and when I have it was more subtle. No other symptoms - never below 85 feet. Any ideas?

I have been diving Nitrox for several years but never 36%
Went with a friend on a dive charter and and although the dives were less than 80 ft they had everyone that dove Nitrox on 36%. I assumed more O2, less fatigue, no problem. (We analyzed tanks before the dives)
After the 2 dives I felt tired and sleepy. Went home and slept a few hours. When I talked to my partner, the same thing happened to him.
Went out again on the same charter and got Nitrox 36%. Same exact thing happened.

Did you calibrate the analyzer and analyze the tanks yourself?

Some possibilities:

• You may not have actually been diving 36%, and were way over the NDL.
  • The gas was contaminated with CO
  • Dehydration
  • A too-fast ascent
  • Diving too close to, or beyond the no-deco limit.
Terry

It was not the Nitrox.

My first guess would be sea sickness in this situation. Even people who claim they don't get "seasick" can still suffer from symptoms. Tiredness is probably the first.

I have had days when I return home after diving and I am totally wiped out. I attribute this more to the dive being more difficult than you realized or remembered. ie fighting current, no current but lots of swimming, incorrect weighting, etc...
I also think that hydration plays a role in how you feel during and after a dive.

there's something addictive about diving compressed gas of any kind. After a dive I want to do it again, and again, and again.

I blame NITROX

:D

Back
Top Bottom