Anyone had one of the instructors at Ginnie Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuster500:
As far as individual classes go, they are nice in my opinion (take that for what its worth) because the instructor is doing the skills with you and can tell if you are doing something wrong a lot easier than otherwise would be able to. If you have the money and the option, I would take the independent classes. I have done five classes with Johnny now, and they were all independent, and I belive this benifited me greatly

Here is the most interesting part about my comment and the comments that have resulted from it...

This is something (not exactly verbatum but as close as I can remember) that Johhny said to me when I told him I was considering private classes.

Johnny --> "As the instructor, watching 2 or more students from a 3rd party position is far better than being a participant in a one on one class. As a 3rd party you can observe things much better. It allows me to critique more effectively the student an correct any problems that might exist."

Words spoken by "The Man" himself.... :) So my opinion I hold was actually formed due to what I was told by my instructor, Johnny, back when I was going to take Intro. And for what it is worth, at Apprentice/Full I was *VERY* thankful that he was not a member of "the dive team". It gave him the opportunity to "have his way with us" during training which resulted in us being drilled at a very high level... Also earned him the title of "Cave Ghost". That man can appear and disappear like nobody else..... :eyebrow:

Dive Safe!

Brett

I wasn't trying to make you prove you wrong by any means. I learned long ago that there isn't always one way to do something, and what one person thinks is awesome another thinks is insane (cave diving for example). While having private classes benifits me, group classes can benifit others. I was just trying to see what others thought. I've taken group and private classes, and I've taught group and private classes. That's just how I feel about the matter.

Didn't mean to make you feel like you had to defend yourself. Sorry if I did.

I thought I was a good diver untill Johnny Richards handed me my a@#. NOW I know I'm a good diver. I HIGHLY recommend Johnny Richards.

Diver Lori:
Tiger's instructor was Herb Sugden who has his own business and also takes referrals from Cave Excursions. Herb is not an employee of Ginnie Springs Outdoors.

Yep. Herb was my instructor, he was a great one...

He has since decided to retire from instruction and just enjoy diving...

Cave Excursions has a good list of instructors to choose from.

The biggest thing is to talk with the instructor and see if they are what you want for instruction. There are many GOOD instructors, but the GREAT ones are ones that are harder to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom