Anyone have conditions report for shore dive along Malibu area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeerCreekers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of getting wet with a shore dive or two, maybe Leo Cabrillo or Deercreeker either Friday or Saturday. Does anyone have a recent-ish conditions report? I'm really looking more for viz reports because surf conditions don't really bother me (unless unsafe).
Really just want to get wet, I'm not married to where just yet. Any suggestions?

I did Malibu Rd on Wednesday night with a bunch of instructors doing their instructor night dive specialty. We didn't get out too far, but viz was pretty bad (as in under 10 ft). When I took my dog to the beach (little Dume) late this afternoon, waves weren't too bad. I drove up to Oxnard Tuesday night, and there was a lot of surge and swell at Deer Creek when I drove by. There's not much tidal change this weekend, so I'm hoping for good diving conditions

Last Saturday I dove the Yukon and the viz was awful. I heard Catalina was bad this past week. Malibu Rd was bad on Wednesday night. There's supposedly a storm in Chile, so maybe north or north-west facing beaches are your best bet

Thanks Geoff! We got new computers (IST GP-3000) that we really want to get wet so were trying to figure out where to go sometime this weekend. Now it looks like were going to be joined by a 3rd buddy whose coming down for a visit this weekend so now I kinda would like to find the best conditions available. We are open on days, Sat or Sun doesn't matter.
I always think it's a shame that it seems when it's nicest out (sun and weather) it's the cruddiest underwater. That said, we"re the type who thinks 5 feet of viz on a short dive if followed up by a beer and good times at the beach is a good dive day
I dont suppose you would mind taking your dog out for another walk today or tomorrow and giving me an updated report........purely for your dogs health benefit of course.

---------- Post Merged on August 11th, 2012 at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 10th, 2012 at 02:25 PM ----------

Geoff- we've decided to do Catalina on Sat.....but I'm sure your dog still wants to go for that walk.

A group of us dove Pt Dume pinnacles Saturday morning - surf was down and conditions looked great. But a little bit of current. Awesome dive, but lots of work. Had 40 ft viz on the backside (facing SM bay), maybe only 12 ft or so viz on the front. Tons of sea life, several bat rays, one sea lion, and a mola mola which I missed. The swim back was work but doable. Two guys (father and son) went out after we got back and were treated to a ride back on Baywatch because the current picked up.

No walk on the beach yesterday for Tina, but this morning we walked down to little Dume and the waves were BIG! She's not a swimmer, but likes playing in the waves, and today she was more reluctant to get wet, despite the heat, as were most of the other dogs down there

It was really hot in Malibu yesterday and today, traffic was at nightmare proportions, and having the 101 closed at Las Virgenes both directions late yesterday made for lots of driving fun. If you decided on diving Catalina with your friend, you definitely made the right call. My wife said this weekend would have been the ideal Catalina dive weekend with the weather, although I'm sure you had plenty of company over there

We did do Catalina on Sat, early boat over, 3:45 boat back. 3 dives in 67 degree water. Viz was fantastic. We got there early and got in the water while the point was deserted, seriously, we were wondering where they all were. Well they must have emerged while we were under water because when we surfaced they were lined up all the way up and beyond the stairs to get in the water. But really, all day we were opposite the crowds so they didn't bother us a bit. Conditions couldn't have been better. Topside was hot..88 degrees. The water was warm enough that many were diving without hoods and gloves. There were bat rays, lobsters and a really mean garibaldi that wouldn't let us swim over the swim platform (I did however put up a good fight but in the end, I made the decision to go around...after getting bit several times. I think I could have taken him if I'd trained harder).
Tacos and adult beverages at Pedros after diving finished off a fantastic day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom