Anyone have experience flying into cancun via Houston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hweijie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm flying in to cancun via houston from Singapore. I've booked the flight tickets separately (Singapore airlines from Singapore to Houston, and UA from Houston to Cancun). Does anyone know what is the layover time required for the transfer? Do we have to check out immigration and in at houston? Does our baggage able to reach to cancun directly or we need to collect and re check in the baggage (note that its a different airline)? Anyone have advice on this?

Thanks lots !!!

Anybody arriving at a US airport on an international flight is required to retrieve their luggage and go through security at the US airport. After you pick up your checked bags, follow the signs for connecting flights. You will drop off your checked bags, then go get in line for the TSA.
There is no way to tell you how much time will be required, because there are too many variables. Personally, I avoid layovers of less than 1 hour, and on a connecting flight I prefer 1.5-2 hours. 2 hours probably won't be needed, but it's better to have extra time than to miss your flight because the TSA was slow.

I think many from other countries try to avoid connecting in the US on the way to a final country because of the Immigration and Customs they have to clear. I don't think you can be treated as an international thru passenger.

How much connecting time do you have, since you already bought the tickets? If it was a thru ticket, it'd be easier to recheck your bags, but since you have two separate tickets - you may have to go to a different counter not in the international area. Since you have two tickets, you'd have to collect and re check in the baggage even if you were flying from one US state to another with a connection of two tickets.

What airline are you using to Cancun?

The OP said UA was flying him to CUN. He MAY be in luck. IAH is a major UA hub and there is a chance the UA will have a counter after customs in the international area that can help him.

If not, then I would want 3-4hrs between flights in Houston.

Thanks for all the advice.. Yeah. I'm more concern of the outward trip (cancun to Houston and out of Houston) I have a 2 hour layover while my friends have a 3hr layover. I'm wondering if I would then have to change my flight or my friends too have to change theirs.

You are not going to make the connection in IAH with a two hour layover.

From the United page:

When traveling internationally:

• Whether or not you're checking luggage, plan to arrive at the airport at least 120 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time.

Check-in and Airport Processing Times | United Airlines

Last edited:
I've booked the flight tickets separately (Singapore airlines from Singapore to Houston, and UA from Houston to Cancun).

Thanks lots !!!

In reading your original posting it sounds at though you purchased the tickets separately. Therefore, your Singapore to Houston is one flight and you would have to go thru the entire de-boarding, baggage collecting and immigration process. At that point you would then proceed to check in for your other separately purchased leg from Houston to Cancun at the UA counter where you would then check your luggage back in. A 2-hour layover will not be enough in either direction. You should be allowing at least a 3-4 hour layover to get everything accomplished.

Back
Top Bottom