anyone interested in cape ann thurs/fri?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafisch:
Anyone interested in a shore dive thursday or friday of this week?

scubafisch
Are you talking about morning or evening? Chebby and I are diving tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

Actually, I was looking for a morning dive... pretty much anytime before 3:30 is OK... I will shoot you a PM.

Fischman

scubafisch:
Anyone interested in a shore dive thursday or friday of this week?

scubafisch

sorry I can't this week...

I'll be diving Folly Cove Thursday morning starting around 9. Meet me there, otherwise I'll have to go solo and stick to >40 ft. High tide is at noon. Let's go! Watch out, bugs!

I was looking to exercise my lobster license as well, but I assumed Folly was too picked over.

Does it produce, in addition to being a good dive?

Scubafisch

DHGPJ:
I'll be diving Folly Cove Thursday morning starting around 9. Meet me there, otherwise I'll have to go solo and stick to >40 ft. High tide is at noon. Let's go! Watch out, bugs!

scubafisch:
I was looking to exercise my lobster license as well, but I assumed Folly was too picked over.

Does it produce, in addition to being a good dive?

Scubafisch

Oh, it's not the best shore-diving lobstering site, but then, I'm not the most gung-ho lobster diver. It also depends on how far out you are willing to go - if you start 200 yards out, I think there are more bugs there. On the other hand, Thurs. and Friday may be the best days for lobster in Folly, because the bugs have had a chance to repopulate following the previous weekend's diving.

I also plan to dive there Friday early afternoon and on the weekend, weather permitting.

Folly Cove Report - Thurs, August 4th
2 tanks (OK, I got two dives out of 1 E7-120)

Went bug hunting this morning in a rising tide. Had hoped that the bugs would be back in Folly after the last weekend's clean-out - no such luck. Of two divers, we got 1 baggable lobster. Lots of juveniles to the right of the cove, a few on the left. One BIG mama lobster on the wall, who doubtless gets picked up three times a day - only to discover the notch...

The lobstermen are doing well, though. We saw 5 BIG lobsters in their traps - good place to hide from a diver. Needless to say, we left them be and moved on.

Viz was 15 or so. 65 on the surface, down to 50 degrees at 40 ft. The steep thermocline is at 25 feet.

No stripers seen on two dives! Sniff We did see two sea-robins, and a bunch of the usual flat-fish.

Any divers doing the Friday high tide? What's the best beach for bugs on this rock?!?

Yep, I know “BIG mama” well. Seen it twice there on that left side wall in the beginning of the year, very surprised it hasn't been poached.

Me and Mellow finally did the dive I was thinking of since last year - start at Halibut Point and go around to Folly. Man, that was a long swim! But it was worth it, the wall (yes there is something very wall like looking between folly and halibut point) is beautiful and the scenery was so different along the shore. Seaweed - big boulders - wall - nice drop offs - sand – boulders again and then folly. And folly is always a treat: skates/flounder/anemones/etc. Too bad I was too busy trying not to get lost, so I wasn’t really paying enough attention to lobsters. Got 3 nevertheless and a big flounder (over 2 dives.) Mellow got one, but a really great one - just under the max limit.

Oh and Mellow, stop playing around with toy tanks and get some REAL air! :2tongue:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom