Anyone know of decent local shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woja222

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and am looking for any local shore dives. Heard something about taking the ferry to Egmont Key and diving somewhere off of the shore there. Any ideas/suggestions/comments? Thanks! -Roger

Last edited:
I'd be more than open to some decent local shore dives, but most of the people I know seem to go at least some distance.

I seem to be visiting Venice at least a few weekends a month for shallow water dives, though visibility can be sketchy. Best I've had there was 12-15 ft, but the worst was mere inches.
Venice is only 90 mins or so south, and there is a chance for finding Megalodon or fossilized sharks teeth if that's an interest. (there's a forum group set up for Venice fossil divers if that interests you.)
I'll keep watching this thread for places closer to home too....

Get yourself a yak with a big flag and paddle out under the skyway, plan to get out of the water at slack high tide and you will see lots of fish. If you can beat the hook and line guys there, where the gas pipeline crosses is a good place to aim for. I have a offshore boat that we take to that spot so you know its good lol.

Where at exactly in Venice do you go? I'd like to check it out. Whats the address or the long/lat coordinates? Do you see much for fish swimming around?

Dive buddy needed 10/14 - 10/17
I will be in St Pete on a semi vacation from the 14th to the end of the week. I will have time to dive from Sunday to Wednesday and am interested in checking out the shore dives. I have read about them and realize they are not the best diving available, but since I come from a landlocked state, I will take what I can get.
Interested in Spanish Rocks, Sugar Barge and 3rd Pier. Might be up for a trip down to Venice for some shark tooth hunting. Anyone interested in being a tour guide?

The lady and I plan to dive Spanish Rocks this weekend for the first time. If its a good dive I'm sure we'd be up for going with you. Both of us would be available on the 14th and I would be available on the 16th all day. So there's a couple of dives. Just keep in touch.

Hey, just wanted to post a public acknowledgement about the good time i had with Roger (woj222) and Kari (sp?) who hosted me on a dive during my trip to St Pete. Both were gracious and I really enjoyed meeting them. As new divers they are enthusiastic and eager to experience the wonders of the sport. To both of you, thank you very much and i look forward to a chance to meet and dive with you again.

Thanks Steve. We had a great time too! Spelling was a little off lol. It's actually Kayla. I think I've got all the loose end buttoned up on the boat. Plan to take it out this coming weekend to Veteran's Reef. But yeah, hope to dive with ya again!

I've found things of interest at all the Venice beaches I've been to. <br>
Mostly I tend to revisit Alhambra beach. No amenities there; it's just where the street hits the water, but the "blocks"; an artificial reef a couple hundred feet from shore (easy swim) and marked by buoys contain a lot of life; most fun being a large batfish a month ago, and have seen some small grouper, dolphins, and a sea turtle as well as some of the more normal local reef fish like the ever present and friendly sheepshead. <br>
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ve...9-insider-info-directions-venice-beaches.html has directions and that group also has a forum to keep track of weather which can be very helpful.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom