Anyone know what this indicator means on an Olympus C-model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just discovered by accident that if I turn my C5060 on in P mode and then hit the up or down arrow, I get a little "s" next to the "P" indicator on the LED display. I have no idea what it means. Does anyone here know?

Many thanks

It means you are changing the shutter speed.

Are you sure about that. I just did some test shots with and without the "s" and the shutter speed didn't budge. I was unable to change the shutter speed by turning the jog dial. This isn't the capital "S" btw. It's a small case "s" that shows up right next to the "P" when the camera is in the fully auto mode.

ABQdiver:
It means you are changing the shutter speed.

Sorry, meant the aperture values! Anyway, if you press the up arrow indicator it adds the little s and then if you keep pushing the up (or down arrows) the aperture values changes. The jog wheel doesn't activate it during that function.

You can get a pdf instruction manual for the camera that I have found very helpful. The cheap SOB's don't include anything more than a basic guide with the camera.

Check out http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_manuals.asp?id=936

It means: "S***" why can't I figure out how this damn thing works without reading the manual? LOL

dlwalke:
I just discovered by accident that if I turn my C5060 on in P mode and then hit the up or down arrow, I get a little "s" next to the "P" indicator on the LED display. I have no idea what it means. Does anyone here know?

Many thanks

The 's' stands for 'Shift'. In 'P' or 'Program' mode you have put your camera in 'Program Shift' mode. What does this mean?

In 'Program' mode the camera will automatically choose the shutter speed and aperture for you. This depends on how much light there is, how close you are to the subject and what your zoom is set at. Let's say, for example, it has chosen a setting of 1/250 for the shutter speed and f/4 for the aperture. We know that the shutter speed and aperture 'reciprocate' each other when it comes to the exposure ie amount of light captured in your picture. For example a setting of 1/125 and f/5.6 will capture the same amount of light as 1/250 and f/4, as will 1/500 and f/2.8. We also know that pictorially the shutter speed controls the 'freezing' of movement and the aperture influences the depth of field.

This is what 'Program Shift' allows you to do. For any given combination of shutter speed and aperture the camera selects for you, you can 'Shift' these values 'reciprocally' and keep the same exposure but alter the pictorial effect. You may decide you need more depth of field and 'shift', in the above example of 1/250 and f/4, the combination to 1/125 and f/5.6. Or it may be a fast moving subject and you want to 'freeze' the movement and 'shift' the combination to 1/500 and f/2.8.

HTH.

OK. Isn't that pretty much what the aperture or shutter modes do also? In that you change shutter speed and aperture compensates automatically or vice versa? I'm at work and don't have my camera with me right now or I'd check it out myself.

ReyeR:
The 's' stands for 'Shift'. In 'P' or 'Program' mode you have put your camera in 'Program Shift' mode. What does this mean?

In 'Program' mode the camera will automatically choose the shutter speed and aperture for you. This depends on how much light there is, how close you are to the subject and what your zoom is set at. Let's say, for example, it has chosen a setting of 1/250 for the shutter speed and f/4 for the aperture. We know that the shutter speed and aperture 'reciprocate' each other when it comes to the exposure ie amount of light captured in your picture. For example a setting of 1/125 and f/5.6 will capture the same amount of light as 1/250 and f/4, as will 1/500 and f/2.8. We also know that pictorially the shutter speed controls the 'freezing' of movement and the aperture influences the depth of field.

This is what 'Program Shift' allows you to do. For any given combination of shutter speed and aperture the camera selects for you, you can 'Shift' these values 'reciprocally' and keep the same exposure but alter the pictorial effect. You may decide you need more depth of field and 'shift', in the above example of 1/250 and f/4, the combination to 1/125 and f/5.6. Or it may be a fast moving subject and you want to 'freeze' the movement and 'shift' the combination to 1/500 and f/2.8.

HTH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom