Anyone need a Fl. Keys artificial reef medallion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmorley

Reaction score
It's good until the end of the year, and they make you buy one for $10 before they'll let you dive any of the artificial wrecks like the Spigal Grove or Duane.

I found the keys overpriced and the whole artificial reef thing a near racket. They made me buy the medallion then switched sites on me so I never even needed it, but woudn't take it back. So I figured I'd pass it on so at least someone can get some use out of the damn thing.

Free. Only catch is you have to be going to the keys soon to use it, and you have to pass it on to someone else on this group when you are done with it :)

I think you are missing the point of the whole medallion thingy...

Ever go to Bonaire???? Same tag thing down there... That money goes to support the marine park habitat...

Every single person that goes to the keys to dive should buy one...

Yeah, good point. don't think of it as a "ticket" but rather as your support for the marine environment of that area since the money that goes in that $10 is well spent way before you paid for the tag by people who were involved in the whole reef preservation in that era, etc...

I just returned from the DEMA and did one dive on the Spiegel Grove... it's was kinda cool to keep the medalion (nice that's its not cheap plastic thingie, by the way) as a souvenir, since it has nice embossed print of the Grove on it.

Sorry to hear that they swtiched sites on you though.. this must have sucked... I too was kinda ticked off that the 2nd dive we did was on the reef instead of on the Grove... that was kinda a waste. I would have rather done two dives on the Grove back to back instead of wasting time on a Banana reef. The weather couldn't have been better that day - not a wave and no current. just beutiful. Oh, did I mention the boat ran out of gas on the way back after the 2nd dive? Geez, one day that cfapt slate is not on the boat (he was running his DEMA booth), the S%$@ goes down on the boat.. actually, it was kinda funny hearing two captain barking at each other why they didn't check the gas, etc... I wasn't in the rush, so it wasn' a biggie for me.

Not missing the point, rejecting it. Not like Bonaire at all. The charge there is accessed by the government, to protect the environment. It's a form of tax. I'll happily pay any official charge to keep to protect a reef or support a chamber. I just don't like it when the diveshops get together and dream up new charges of there own and make it look like its something official, figuring it they all charge them then divers will have no choice but to pay. Its like all those bogus extra charges they hit you up with now when you rent a car.

Besides I'm not trying to sell the damn thing I'm trying to GIVE IT AWAY. Anyone want it, PM me.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
I think you are missing the point of the whole medallion thingy...

Ever go to Bonaire???? Same tag thing down there... That money goes to support the marine park habitat...

Every single person that goes to the keys to dive should buy one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom