Anyone notice the excitement at the Blue Angel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last translation refers to the 5 as suspects in an actual execution that occurred earlier. This sounds like a hit not a random act of violence against a tourist. The tourists who had their room searched and their luggage checked were innocent bystanders who were rightfully pissed off, as to weather or not they had money taken we will never know. How many travelers leave their money in their luggage when they go out? I usually put it in my pocket or the hotel safe. The police were on a serious mission, not a roadside fund raiser. I would give them the "benefit of the doubt" over some pissed off tourists. Anyway, if it was all drug related:

a) Doesn't involve me
b) One less gangbanger on the streets
c) Positive sign that police are actively trying to find the perps
d) Still at a significantly lower rate of occurance than most large US cities
e) Add your own comments to the list

Well that is what I said, but I aint gonna get a like....

Stats just came out today for my home town in Canada - 5th most dangerous city in Canada! Yet somehow I still exist, shop, and roam the streets. ;^)

5th most dangerous city in Canada? Does that mean you have more beer and Canadian bacon nicked on the way home from the market than other cities? :)

WOW. I know I'm not going back to Mexico, but I had hoped that the island of Coz would still be somewhere I would want to re-visit. Maybe there is not a lot of drug violence there, but when it is common place to be robbed by the police in the course of their work... well I guess I need to scratch Coz. off the list too.

Pray tell where else is on your list?

Beside, as I said Por Esto picks on the police in Coz. I would like someone to first hand verify that REALLY happened.

My understanding from a very credible and first hand source (and as the article states) is that the only "guest" room that was searched by the police was the suspects - who were checked in as guests and questioned for quite some time in the lobby of the hotel. These are the "guests" that claim they were robbed by the police. Just to put things in perspective, these guests were not American/Canadian/European etc. tourists. One of them WAS arrested as stated in the paper and taken into custody. It's a pretty fair bet that the others were not here on vacation without any involvement, there just probably wasn't any evidence to hold them! They were from Mexico City and their behavior and activity was suspicious, which is why the police were on to them. They were not your everyday tourist or Caribbean resort guests.

It is not "common place
to be robbed by the police in the course of their work" - but I'm sure there are some crooked ones out there - JUST LIKE there are crooked cops on every single police force in the world - why do you think they have internal affairs divisions?

It's amazing to me how one incident that is not even substantiated, read on the internet and in a poorly written gossip rag all of a sudden becomes something that is "common place" and would cause someone to cross a place off their list as a result. Of course everyone has the right to make their own decisions, but I'm sorry, I just have to say that is simply absurd.

Other than some excitement on Saturday afternoon, the hotel/dive shop guests were not hassled, threatened or in any danger.

My understanding from a very credible and first hand source (and as the article states) is that the only "guest" room that was searched by the police was the suspects - who were checked in as guests and questioned for quite some time in the lobby of the hotel. These are the "guests" that claim they were robbed by the police. Just to put things in perspective, these guests were not American/Canadian/European etc. tourists. One of them WAS arrested as stated in the paper and taken into custody. It's a pretty fair bet that the others were not here on vacation without any involvement, there just probably wasn't any evidence to hold them! They were from Mexico City and their behavior and activity was suspicious, which is why the police were on to them. They were not your everyday tourist or Caribbean resort guests.

Perfect. So it is an example of the police getting the bad guys and protecting tourists.

It is not "common place
to be robbed by the police in the course of their work" - but I'm sure there are some crooked ones out there - JUST LIKE there are crooked cops on every single police force in the world - why do you think they have internal affairs divisions?

Nice. I hate to bring this up, but you just painted cops with that broad brush you don't want used to paint Coz. That would be like saying because some dive shops have crooked employees, ALL dive shops must have some crooked employees. Faulty logic. Instead of saying that, you should focus on the fact that the complaint was made by the criminals. Por Esto always repeats anything bad a prisoner has to say about the police. You are SURE Coz has some crooked cops?

It's amazing to me how one incident that is not even substantiated, read on the internet and in a poorly written gossip rag all of a sudden becomes something that is "common place" and would cause someone to cross a place off their list as a result. Of course everyone has the right to make their own decisions, but I'm sorry, I just have to say that is simply absurd.

True, but at least we have cleared this one up.

Other than some excitement on Saturday afternoon, the hotel/dive shop guests were not hassled, threatened or in any danger.

Actually, I would have said the guests had the danger REMOVED by the cops, making them safer......

He is just hunting lionfish no? :rofl3:

WOW. I know I'm not going back to Mexico, but I had hoped that the island of Coz would still be somewhere I would want to re-visit. Maybe there is not a lot of drug violence there, but when it is common place to be robbed by the police in the course of their work... well I guess I need to scratch Coz. off the list too.

Wait?!?!? Wha?!? After one questionably reported incident you cross a divers paradise like Coz off your list? Without REALLY knowing it happened?

Christi said it best. ABSURD

i'll be arriving Christmas day feeling perfectly safe, probably safer than I am in Dallas. (not that I won't use common sense)

Why are people concerned about whether a tourist lost his Ipod due to sticky fingers of some cops or not?

WTF is the story about the E X E C U T I O N???

The Federales in Mexico are theives. They shake you down at every chance they get. Corruption is rampant. I have been to pacific side Mexico several times, they are truly the biggest danger to your money, health, and liberty. This is not an opinion, but experience. As a result, I have stopped going to Mexico (at least on the baja penninsula), and hope Cozumel will be better. I have heard only wonderful things about diving in Cozumel, and am looking forward to seeing it.

:bs:

Once again, someone is tearing down all of Mexican authority.

One thing the Federales are doing is trying to rout the people that fund the cartels by buying drugs. Two Canadians were 'tapped' a couple of years ago in Puerto Vallarta; the Mounties said they had been watching the two as high-up in drug trafficking.

It's very possible the Federales had info that someone staying at Blue Angel was involved.

It's also very possible that someone is making it up that there was money and it was stolen.

And as much as I hate to admit it, it is also possible that there is a bad apple in that Federales bunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom