Anyone read this thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I take being a DM very seriously.....

That's the core of it. If it's something you really want to do and do well, you'll succeed. I really feel that many of these DM's and DMC's folks complain about are divers that have been pushed up through the ranks before they're ready and don't really know what they want yet. Going pro is a serious decision to make.

I had 60 dives when I started my DM class and consider myself a beginner. Initially I wanted to take the class to learn more about diving besides just being in the water. Now I also want to help a few instructors who I respect when it comes to representing a quality diver. I don't kick up silt or have difficulty doing what is required of me. I am a more informed diver who is more assure of myself in the water. I still check, recheck, and ask my buddy to check before I enter the water. We take responsibility for ourselves when we dive but as a DM we must model exemplary skills above the water and in the water.

I have certified more than 100 Divemasters. They all had a tough time. Some were naturals in the water, some in the classroom, some both.
I did the presentations as necessary, the skills, all that stuff.
Now go and work as a DM. You may be an assistant or maybe scuba reviews and leading dives.
They are then great at logistics, skills and all that good stuff.
The theory goes out of the window, they do not really use it!
Having "finished" their study, who then do they learn from? Their divers? Scuba Review participants?
Maybe they ought to be reviewed occasionally themselves?

Hi Friends,

I'm not sure what this thread is about, but what I have read thus far moved me to respond.

I'm one "Rescue Assessment" away from completing and earning my Dive Master certification. This program was more intense than I imagined prior to going into it. I have become a better diver. My skills have increased far beyond what I ever imagined. I have become an alert diver. A safer diver. A diver willing to help other divers. I confident but not cocky in the water. I find myself assessing others skill levels, while not being judgmental.

I'm going to work hard, while having fun, as a DM. I'm also not going to stop at the DM level. I plan on moving right into the IDC and continue my education and skill levels.

For me the DM experience was a benefit to me as a diver and will be a benefit to the divers I'm responsible for.

Greg
:D

You and I both! I think that there are simply divers who have been doing it so long they forget the ocean isn't theirs solely. Standards do change and so what? No one is going to have the buoyancy that another person with 1000+ dives is going to have except someone else with that many dives. I'm just glad that when I was a noob that no one berated me because I was "simply an OW diver".
A question on the DM test I took Thursday night was something along the lines of if you are a DM on a boat with TECH DIVERS what would you NOT do? One answer was turn on their air for them. Of course, that wasn't the correct answer (I got the question right...) but my instructor thought my comments about the question were interesting. I said, based on some of the things I've read on SB, I doubt I would touch a tech diver's ANYTHING unless they specifically asked for it. We talked about turning on air as a DM "service" but I pointed out that tech diving, to me, equates into someone who is probably waaaaaay more experienced than me, and would probably label me as an inexperienced DM if I touched their equipment. Besides, I believe they take extra gas down with them, probably don't want some of them turned on.... and my instructor agreed.

Did PADI get the question right?

Not sure, maybe???

I haven't looked at the divemaster materials in quite a while and that stuff is in the garage but my answer is that one probably shouldn't DM for "tech" dives unless they are very familiar with the equipment and procedures being used.

IME, those crewing a "tech" charter are usually "tech" divers and their overall function as surface support isn't all that different. The big difference is the specific equipment and procedures. I've never seen anyone assemble someone elses equipment but depending on the equipment being used and sea conditions they're still giving divers the once over and helping with entries and exits.

Sometimes things are moving pretty fast and bouncy (It seems sea conditions are never good) so an extra set of "educated" eyes sure doesn't hurt.

When I read that question my response was "tell everyone to stay the hell out of their way and don't touch their stuff." But that wasn't one of the possible answers, so picked another answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom