Anyone running 2 knives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skimphish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know it seems redundant, but does anyone dive with 2 knives on them? scuba.com is running a special for a BC knife that is $8. so i thought maybe id run a knife on my bp/w setup on my chest, and then my regular 12" knife on my leg. so, thought?

I would recommend something like this DSS knife, mounted on the front of your waist harness. Then a pair of shears either in a pouch on the right side of the harness, if no canister light, or in a pocket.

Shears should be your goto tool for most circumstances. They do not call them safety shears for nothing.

I dive with two knives (a fore-shortened steak knife & a Z-knife) and shears.

Diving in kelp, as I do, I don't that's overdoing it, especially as I'd have to use thick gloves while cutting.

I dive solo and I always dive with 2 knives. One i wear on my belt harness in DIR fashion. This knife is small and is not that easy yo get at, so it is my back up knife. I wear another on my leg which I use all the time. I got wrapped up in line once on a solo wreck dive and then dropped my only knife. i vowed that if i got out of that pickle, i would adopt the DIr config and carry a second knife.

The only thing I changed on the DIR waist strap configuration is an elastic lanyard that locks the blade into the sheath and prevents accidental loss. I think that DIR says not to add this improvement, but since it is a back up knife, I'm not worried if it takes an extra second to deploy it.

adding an extra knife back up knife has very little drawback and if you coat the blade with vaseline, it will not rust quickly, even if you barely rinse it.

I typically have a small z-knife near my shoulder, a normal knife at my waist, and often shears in my drysuit pocket. So I guess to answer to original question, no, I often have three cutting tools.

In overhead environments we always have at least two cutting devices. Normally I carry two knives or one knife and some snips.

Jeff

Always two- shears and a line cutter or z knife.

Always one knife, usually two, and sometimes three knives. See my signature :D

z knife & shears...

cave divers *love* redundant. redundant rocks!

Back
Top Bottom