anyone seen cracks like this? - split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aarontee

Reaction score
hi, im new here. anyone experiencing PT030 casing cracks underneath the hot shoe bracket? i found cracked lines within the wall of the casing after my last trip, afraid the lines will crack thru one fine day. any solution?

have anyone experienced cracks like this:

p6140017lc0.jpg

I have a few friends from Malaysia and Sinagpore having the same problem, cracked at exactly the same spot. Brought back to Olympus, but they claimed that they no longer warrant the underwater housing anymore.

It's hard to tell which part of the housing cracked. Was this on a hinge or around a button? Is it near one of the corners where it could be bumped?

gert7to3:
It's hard to tell which part of the housing cracked. Was this on a hinge or around a button? Is it near one of the corners where it could be bumped?

100% accident free. 3 of my friends all having cracks on the same spot. the crack line is just below the hot-shoe bracket screw

I've heard of this once before. Some people have removed the metal plate, and put an industrial grade RTV in the spaces then replaced the plate. I don't think epoxy will work well at depth and will simply come off. RTV should stay in place and provide some stability. I would also not over tighten your camera housing to the strobe tray. Anyway, Another issue is that sometimes there looks to be small cracks down there but its simply how its made. If you truly have cracks its likely around where the screws attach the baseplate.

Mine looks similar but not as bad. It appears to be some marks or wrinkles molded into the housing. Mine does not to appear to be an actual crack.

Don

I finally examined my housing. It looks as though Olympus has molded guide holes into the housing to accept self tapping screws. If the screw was over torqued, out of spec (wrong size); if the hot-shoe plate was out of spec (hole slightly offset); or if the hole wasn't molded properly, one might expect this result.

Again, are you using the hot-shoe to hold anything? If you are using the hot-shoe was the item mounted there maybe a little big, did it have to be forced? Or was the mounted item torqued or bumped, maybe even unnoticed? These are other ways to crack the housing.

It is possible to see slight distortions in clear molded plastics. It's also possible to see minor distortion and crazing where screws have been applied. Viewed with polarized light there would ball sorts of patterns visible in the material.

The structural integrity of the housing probably isn't too badly compromised. The crack extends through an external rib not into the housing itself.

If Olympus won't respond or repair the housing, here are some possible DIY solutions:

Slightly backing out the screw(s) (1/4 turn or so) might relieve some of the stress, especially if you are mounting anything in the hot-shoe.

Infiltrating the crack with a polycarbonate solvent/cement might glue things back together.

Infiltrating it with a product like crazy glue might also help, but wouldn't be quite as strong.

Just sealing the crack with silicone (RTV) wouldn't be strong, but would seal the area.

Leaving it alone, especially if you aren't using the hotshoe would probably be ok too.

Back
Top Bottom