Anyone stay at Xanadua Freeport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed there twice about 4 years ago. The hotel was in a state of disrepair and is a bit isolated between Freeport and Port Lucaya. (at short cab ride to both) It does have a cool view from the upper levels and an ok beach on site, but we had a couple of power outages during our stay, the restaurant was only open limited times and they did try to peddle the time share thing quite a bit.

Xanadu dive is a good operation and a lot of fun to dive with. The staff (largely from skandinavian countries) were very professional and they offer reasonable training (I got my Nitrox specialty with them) They did appear to be operating on a shoe string budget as they had problems getting timely repairs to their older boat and nitrox analyzer the second time I dove with them.

They do have the coolest shark feeding dive I've ever done as the shark wrangler, in full chain mail, grabs the sharks and hypnotizes them by rubbing their snouts and then stacking them like cord wood.

I was there in March of this year. The Tower at the hotel is in good shape, but they had a fire this winter which closed down other parts of the hotel. The hotel views and the beach are wonderful. The rooms are comfortable, but our A/C did not work for the whole week and no one at the front desk really seemed to care. Like I said we were there in March so this was not a big deal. One problem we experienced is its location is to far to walk to anything and taxis are very expensive. I would definitly rent a car. The dive shop was great!! One of the better operations I have ever dove with. They really made sure we were taken care of. They have nice lockers to store and hang dive gear and they are a 30 second walk from the hotel. They also made sure to seperate those who wanted deeper wreck dives and those who wanted shallow easy reefs. I would recommend the hotel and dive shop if your main purpose is to dive.

Back
Top Bottom