Anyone use Sand Dollar Sports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the web site of the Residencias Reef condo where we're staying, there is a brand new pier on site for dive boat pick up. Alison (of Dive with Alison fame) told me in an email some time ago that they were building a new pier and she'd know more about it in the spring. Prior to that, she mentioned that the pier she used for pick up in that area was about a 25 minute walk from the condos.

Is the "new pier" at the Wyndham/Sand Dollar? Or could that be the one that was a 25 minute walk away?

I believe I saw a post from Christi (may have been on another site) that said the pier was for Sand Dollar customers, not public, but that some dive ops paid a fee to Sand Dollar to use it.

Can someone sort out which pier(s) is/are which?

FWIW, I certainly don't mind paying a fee to be picked up there, as convenient as that will be for us.

The pier must be the same one we used in Sept which did look relatively new. I also saw a post by Christi about a fee to others using the pier but it was at my other forum. Photos of the pier are at the end of this album.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Wyndham Resor...

I have a Time Share at Reef Club, now known as Wyndham, and have dove with SandDollar many times. Most of my dives with them have been fun. I was timed out of a few dives once because of some other divers on the boat being new so I complained to the owner about that. We were then placed on smaller boat and it never happened again. Those problems have been corrected last year. I'm told that is no longer a problem. They are very convenient and affordable when you are staying at the Resort. They have good rinse tanks and lockers. I now know a lot of the staff and like them. So it's OK to use them. I recommend them. You can also dive AM or PM -you get a choice- same dives.

If you dive with one of the other good dive outfits, Martin, Blue XT, Aldora, Dive Paradise etc, you will pay a small docking fee to have their boats come pick you up and leave your dive gear with them, which will be safe. Not a big deal. I just like convenience when I'm on a dive vacation -fill out forms right there at resort and not have to take a cab to the offsite dive office. I like to keep it simple.:)

Can someone sort out which pier(s) is/are which?

The new pier at Reef Residencias is in operation, we used it a few weeks ago.

The Reef Residencias pier is the wooden pier directly in front of the complex. It is my understanding that this pier is for condo residents and guests only.

The Sand Dollar pier is the cement pier at the north end of the Wyndam property. This is in fact owned and operated by Sand Dollar Sports, not The Wyndam.

Effective as of January 15, 2008 per a memo I received from Sand Dollar dated December 31, 2007:

Divers will be required to pay a $3.00 per day/diver pier usage fee for those who wish to be picked up/dropped off at Sand Dollar pier if not diving with Sand Dollar Sports. Before entering the pier, a Sand Dollar representative will issue you a ticket upon payment of this pier usage fee.

Now you see why Christi is so valuable to this Board. She cuts right through all the BS and gets you the straight scoop on Coz. She has a very good dive op too.

The Reef Residencias pier is the wooden pier directly in front of the complex. It is my understanding that this pier is for condo residents and guests only.

The Sand Dollar pier is the cement pier at the north end of the Wyndam property. This is in fact owned and operated by Sand Dollar Sports, not The Wyndam.

Effective as of January 15, 2008 per a memo I received from Sand Dollar dated December 31, 2007:

Divers will be required to pay a $3.00 per day/diver pier usage fee for those who wish to be picked up/dropped off at Sand Dollar pier if not diving with Sand Dollar Sports. Before entering the pier, a Sand Dollar representative will issue you a ticket upon payment of this pier usage fee.

Muchas gracias Christi!

Can anyone assist with names of dive ops who will pick up at the Residencias Reef condos -sounds like there is a new pier there? Of those you list, who would be your top picks for smaller boat & attentive crew? Sounds like a lot of good ops around. Lucky us! We are there Feb 15-25. Thanks!

Can anyone assist with names of dive ops who will pick up at the Residencias Reef condos

We are planning on renting a condo there (3/7-3/13). I have never stayed there, so I don't know much about it. Can you use the facilities at the neighboring Wyndham? Is it a far walk? Anyway, I used Papa Hogs when I dove in Cozumel the last 2x. They have tiny 4 person boats, but they are pretty quick (bumpy though), all paperwork is done over the phone, never have to go to their shop. Last time it was 2 beginners and 2 of us that were experienced. The DM let buddies finish the dive so we didn't have to go timed or until the first person got out. I was planning on using them again, but I have not confirmed (yet) that they will pick up from that location.

I had a very good experience with Sand Dollar at the Reef Club (Wyndham). It was November 06 and it was quite slow. Did OW certification (full course) and they were private lessons. Air conditioned classroom and a big on-site dive tank provided excellent facilities. None of the boats were crowded. Enjoyed a first class experience. Based on my limited experience it would seem that many of the larger operations run both big and smaller craft and that where they are the house dive op you can usually go with smaller groups. It seems as though the larger boats are often used to service the cruise trade much the same way as some of the beach clubs bring them in by the bus full.

Back
Top Bottom