Anyone use Sony for their UW photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robandliza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading my camera and will probably stick with Sony as I already have the memory sticks etc

Anyone use/recommend a Sony with housing for their UW shoots?

I spoke to Sony and they said that housing was available for the N2, T20,T100 and W's 80,90 and 200

I've already discounted the N2 after reading a previous thread about it not having auto white balance ( should I reconsider?)

The camera will not only be for diving, but for all general use too, so any suggestions are most welcome

Thanks

Rob

First, white balance very important for underwater pics, unless you are shooting raw. It makes a big difference. My buddy uses the Sony with the Sony Case, can no remember the model. Works great! If the case can handle the depth you plan to dive, you should be fine. - Tom

I've been using Sony's for a few years now. I love them for their size and ease of use. I have never been happy with the white balance but this is only applicable when not using the flash which is almost never a good idea. Always get close, then closer and use a flash/macro. Here's many examples all using Sony's.

http://srv04.allenhost.com/~ceadmin/HomePage.htm

I use a sony because it was the camera I have when I decided to try underwater photography.
My camera lacks some of the prefered features, but I think I am learning a lot from using it and I get reasonable results.
You can click 'dive picture' below for examples.

If there is a jog dial that controls more than one setting be wary. These types of camera controls don't play nice with Ikelite housings. Topside they're awesome but once there is pressure the housing knob can wreak havoc with jog dials as they start to run by themselves constantly changing your settings in M mode. All other controls were great.

I used a Sony as well. It worked great. However, the question for me is was I going to take snapshots or pro type shots.
To me the difference is lighting. Virtually any decent quality digital camera can render quality shots in the hands of a photographer. However, if you need tons of light to make the image pop and don’t have it, well no matter the skill the shot will no make it past the first editing session.
More light = more money, a lot more money.

My lovely bride has a W80 and I will get the Sony housing for snapshots. I chose for my money, video. Yes it’s more money initially but now I can still take the occasional snapshot along with some quality video. Worked out great for me.

Dave

I recently got a T100 and am not happy with the focusing for either Land or underwater. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not a Sony fan for underwater. I don't know all the details of "why" but they never seem to produce images that are as nice as the images from the Canons, Fujis or Olympus' I see. We often have a wide range of cameras on board and this has been a consistent result for ages.

I'm sure they can produce some nice images, but it seems perhaps their flexibility is more limited.

White balance is a must so make sure whatever brand you buy you can manually set it. It will help a lot for those shots that are unsuitable for the internal flash. I have one of my instructors here who almost never turns his internal flash on and he's getting some lovely images.

Back
Top Bottom