Anyone use the heart rate monitor on their sol ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gotair?

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was just curious if anyone uses the heart rate monitor. I just purchased my sol and have not had it in the water yet.
I read a few posts about it but I would like some fresh opinions about it. Is it worth using? Does it lose signal often?
How much does a lost signal efect deco times? Any pros or cons would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Gotair,

Yes, we use the Heart Rate monitor on every dive. It does NOT lose signal very often.

The loss of signal does not effect NO Stop ( NDL ) time as far as giving you less time. It would be the same as not wearing it.

You want to use it due to the fact it is a better read on your nitrogen load. If you are getting workloads, it will give you less NO Stop ( NDL ) time.

Why?

Because you are more loaded up with nitrogen. due to your increased workload.

Beaver Divers

Reactions: Jax
I use it on every dive, dry suit and wet suit dives. Works great. Heart rate information is quite helpful in making sure you are monitoring your workload. Signal rarely drops and has nothing to do with the tissue saturation calculations. This is a unique computer with this heart rate monitor.

I was wondering how long it would take before companies started adding heart rate monitors to computers. It seems like a logical advancement and a good metric to maintain for understanding how your body responds to different stimuli.

Yes, I've used it and was surprised how well it works even immersed in salt water. There was a report of a dry suit diver who had a problem with the thing double counting and if I recall he had it set to link to the algorithm. His computer started displaying emergency information as though he was dying.

I use it on every dive, dry suit and wet suit dives. Works great. Heart rate information is quite helpful in making sure you are monitoring your workload. Signal rarely drops and has nothing to do with the tissue saturation calculations. This is a unique computer with this heart rate monitor.

Hi Gary, You can actually set the Sol to alter the algorithm according to the workload, calculated either from respiration or heart rate, or turn the coupling off. See 2.9.5 of the manual.

Adam

Hi Gotair,

You want to use it due to the fact it is a better read on your nitrogen load. If you are getting workloads, it will give you less NO Stop ( NDL ) time.

Why?

Because you are more loaded up with nitrogen. due to your increased workload.

Beaver Divers

There is no basis for this claim in either logic, physiology or research.
It is pure hyperbole and marketing. Nothing more.

There is no basis for this claim in either logic, physiology or research.
It is pure hyperbole and marketing. Nothing more.
I think I remember hearing this same backward rhetoric about dive computers. and Nitrox.

Do you use a dive computer or Nitrox?

I have the upgraded Luna. I've used the HRM on about 30 dives, about 20 in Little Cayman wearing a light shirt in 80 degree F water and about 10 in quarries in a dry suit in 40 degree F water. It has never lost signal for me. I don't have it configured for the algorithm yet. I've been surprised about when my heart rate is up and when it is down. It gets really high when I'm starting dry suit dives - it must be because I'm so stressed out with all the extra gear and over-heating from the suit. My heart rate slows down as soon as I get to the thermocline and cool down.

One problem with it is that I misplace the chest strap regularly. I've probably spent more time looking for it than actually diving with it.
:wink:

I wonder how long it will take for HR monitors to become standard, and whether DAN or other orgs. would be interested in people providing their recorded dive information for study if more bio-data were recorded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom