What's your experience with DeWalt battery warranty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently trying to file a warranty claim and I initiated it through their website, which means we're communicating via email. They are so slow that it might as well be snail mail. They ask me questions, I give them answers, they ask more questions and I give more answers. Most of these answers can be found on the product registration I did for the batteries.

I'm also curious, should I avoid telling them I use the batteries in a non-DeWalt product, or does it not matter? I'm getting a voltage mismatch after about 20 minutes. The batteries are 5 months old. Admittedly, I ran them hard a few weeks ago.

How much quicker would it be if I called them? What's the typical delivery time for new batteries?

If anyone has advice based on their experience, I'd appreciate it.

My buddy flooded his BT on the 4th or 5th dive day with it. He contacted them dewalt and they replaced them with brand new ones the next week. I think he told them they no longer charge or some such, no mention of getting wet.

I wouldn't mention them being used in a scooter or non dewalt tool.

Did you register them?

Yes, they are registered. Thus far I haven't revealed how I'm using them. I don't want just 1 new battery if only one is bad, I want 2 new ones so that they discharge at the same rate.

Yes, they are registered. Thus far I haven't revealed how I'm using them. I don't want just 1 new battery if only one is bad, I want 2 new ones so that they discharge at the same rate.
Tell them they're not charging and you've tested on different chargers and other batteries on yours maybe? Idk

My buddy flooded his BT on the 4th or 5th dive day with it. He contacted them dewalt and they replaced them with brand new ones the next week. I think he told them they no longer charge or some such, no mention of getting wet.

I wouldn't mention them being used in a scooter or non dewalt tool.

Did you register them?
So how is that ok that your buddy damaged the batteries through no fault of dewalts yet he still asked for warranty.

@fullytek

They're covered under warranty for replacement. They got wet and stopped charging because the control board fried. I have zero idea what transpired between him and dewalt, but they sent him 2 brand new ones.

I have those 2 batteries with new boards sitting on my bench at work. I still need to solder in the new boards when I get time.

They arent really intended to be run in a "matched" way so you might struggle to get both replaced. They may replace the weak one.

So how is that ok that your buddy damaged the batteries through no fault of dewalts yet he still asked for warranty.
Well Dewalt learned their lesson and is making potentially valid claims harder hence this thread no?

They arent really intended to be run in a "matched" way so you might struggle to get both replaced. They may replace the weak one.

FWIW, DeWalt has two "120VoltMAX" miter saws that use 2 "60VoltMAX" in series when in a battery configuration (there is an AC Adapter too), so having a balanced/matched pair is not an irrational thing in the DeWalt ecosystem.

DHS790 and DHS716

FWIW, DeWalt has two "120VoltMAX" miter saws that use 2 "60VoltMAX" in series when in a battery configuration (there is an AC Adapter too), so having a balanced/matched pair is not an irrational thing in the DeWalt ecosystem.

DHS790 and DHS716
In Dewalts world, it doesn't matter. It runs the batteries in series and doesn't care about voltage imbalance. As long as it is getting over 100V at the end, it doesn't care where it comes from.

I've used lots of Dewalt batteries over the years on Dewalt tools. When they won't hold a charge anymore I get new ones. I've never had a problem, but then I only use them for what they were intended for. Same for Makita and Milwaukee.

If you guys are the cause of something that in ends up in higher battery prices a lot of contractors are going to be upset.

Back
Top Bottom