anyone use the nikon 17-55 f2.8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I hope someone out there is using this lens. big $$ but it would be great for dives where I have no idea what subjects I will find

dbh:
recent discussion here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14893

I read alot when I am not diving :)

HTH,
Dave

Thanks Dave

I work in the Dive Biz, no time for reading here!

I knew I was going to get it, I even got the focus gear last time I bought more aquatica bits.

Not only did I confirm that I want that lens, I also found a thread about stuffing a D80 in a D70 housing!

I had a hard time deciding between the 17-55 f2.8 and the 17-35 f2.8. I ended up getting the 17-35. It replaced my 12-24 which I didn't like very well. I prefer the f2.8 lenses for diving. I haven't tried the 17-35 yet, but am heading to Bonaire in a few weeks and hope to use it some.

The D80 looks like alot of camera for the $$$.

Good luck,

Dave

i have the 17-55. took a while to decide but i havent taken it diving yet. hopefully will have updates soon

I am also deciding between 17-55mm DX and 17-35mm F2.8 . I am planning a trip to Palau next year and it should be a great shark lens. When I was in Yap earlier this year, I found the 12-24mm too wide for reef sharks unless it got very close (easier said than done) even during shark feeding.
I tried the 17-55mm on land and would have gotten it in a heartbeat if not for the rumour of full frame Nikon dSLR probably within the next 1-2 generations of D2X replacement (not that I can afford another new body with expensive housing anytime soon but it is nice to dream :) ). So there is a question for longevity of DX lens and I think I am going to hold of buying expensive DX lens for awhile.

The 17-55 is a great lens if you use the correct setup - dome, extension ring, diopter, etc. It took alot of testing with my Nexus D70 to find the optimum combination.

Had a chance to really use this lens on a trip to Cocos. In fact used on all but maybe two dives. The photos should give you an idea of the range.

greenmoray.jpg

whaleshark2.jpg

This shot was taken from about 5'-7' distance

schoolarch.jpg

Martin... checked your site out; cocos shots were especially spectacular! I would love to hear any advice via pm or email, as this is a trip I really want to do.

2 questions:

Where and with what op were the Great White shots taken?

What rig (besides the lens) did you shoot the cocos stuff with?

Chris Bangs:
I hope someone out there is using this lens. big $$ but it would be great for dives where I have no idea what subjects I will find

The 17-55mm does not have the build quality of the 17-35mm f2.8. It is however a smaller lens with more range.

Others have posted opinions both here, and on wet pixel. If you want a budget lens, buy a Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina. If you want the nikon glass, this lens is very good. Reviews (topside) can be found on many sites like Thom's site, and others.

The 17-35mm is going to be sharper edge to edge... Why? Well it's a 2X zoom, and it's designed to cover FF. Lenses are generally weakest shooting wide open, full stopped down, and at the corners (barrel distortion is the exception here). The 17-35mm is a great lens, AND even better on digital.

That said, I use the 18-35mm UW because it works with my current dome port. I may get the 17-35mm UW, but it's much bigger, and I don't see a lot of difference other than I do get a brighter viewfinder, and flaster lens at a trade-off of weight.

Back
Top Bottom