Anyone using or used a 12-40 f2.8 pro lens UW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi Guys I can pick up one of these fairly cheaply but just had a thought if it had a use UW. I note if's min focus distance is 0.2m or 7.8".

I am using it for long. Optically it belongs to the best I own. Regarding focal length it is neither macro nor very WA, so a little bit out of mainstream for UW use. I regard it the optimum for taking fish portraits and also like it for night dives.
It will not perform well behind a flat port. I use it behind Zen DP-170 (N120 version) plus 60mm N85/N120 adapter (in Nauticam housing)...

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang, Been reading about it today and not sure if it adds a lot to what I have at the moment.

Hi Guys I can pick up one of these fairly cheaply but just had a thought if it had a use UW. I note if's min focus distance is 0.2m or 7.8".
I utilize the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro behind an Olympus PPO-E02 flat port. I concur the lens works well for fish portraits and in a pinch usable for smaller objects.

This is my most used lens underwater- it's kinda wide, kinda long, and a great option for those dives where you don't know what you're going to get. I've used it with an Inon 170mm dome for the last several years, first with an E-m1mkI in an Olympus housing, and I've now got exactly one dive in the books with my E-m1mkIII in an AOI housing. The bummer is that I used the same set up with the Panasonic 8-18, but that combo won't work in the AOI housing. That led me to purchase the Olympus 8-25, but the edge performance is lousy so now I'll have to get a different dome and hope it also works with the 12-40.

This is my most used lens underwater- it's kinda wide, kinda long, and a great option for those dives where you don't know what you're going to get.

Same here, with the Zen 170. The 12-40, the Panasonic 8mm, and of course, the Olympus 60 are my happy places. The 8-25 doesn't fit in Nauticam housings anyway, but it's my understanding that all wide rectilinear lenses have corner issues behind domes.

The 8-25 doesn't fit in Nauticam housings anyway,
No, it uses a dome port and a ring. Check Nauticam's updated port chart for m4/3.

Roger that, Boltsnap. I'd forgotten; I have the Zen 170/ii, which has a long neck which won't accommodate the 8-25 due to the permanent mount of the lens shade. Thanks for the correction!

This is my most used lens underwater- it's kinda wide, kinda long, and a great option for those dives where you don't know what you're going to get.

This is exactly my impression of this lens as well, matching a passage in Martin Edge's Underwater Photography book. With respect to performance behind Olympus's recommended flat port is very good in my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom