Anyone using the 8080 with a PT-023?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomerang

Reaction score
I'm considering buying the Oly 8080 and a PT-023. Has anyone out there used this setup? If so, can you recommend a strobe I could sync up with it in TTL mode?

Boomerang:
I'm considering buying the Oly 8080 and a PT-023. Has anyone out there used this setup? If so, can you recommend a strobe I could sync up with it in TTL mode?

If I'm not stepping out of bounds here at Scubaboard, I would recomend you go to Digitaldiver.net and look at their "strobe finder". It is a wonderful resorce for most all your "which strobe" questions.

If suggesting going to another site is out of bounds here, I'll gladly delete this post.

BrantD...is OK to refer to another site when info is asked for. And I agree, the strobe finder article is a great one. Click here ----> Strobe Finder article.

I would hold off on the 8080 as the new Evolt E-300 DSLR is now out and the 8080 is virtually obsolete already. They both have 8 MP with the E-300 advantage of interchangeable lenses. Only say this because I am looking into this myself. I hope there is a decent housing on the way for the E-300!

Dee:
BrantD...is OK to refer to another site when info is asked for. And I agree, the strobe finder article is a great one. Click here ----> Strobe Finder article.

thanks Dee, just trying to make sure I get all the proper ediquet down for posting on the board. Didn't want to step in ......."you know what"... :nonono: to start with.

Taucher:
I would hold off on the 8080 as the new Evolt E-300 DSLR is now out and the 8080 is virtually obsolete already. They both have 8 MP with the E-300 advantage of interchangeable lenses. Only say this because I am looking into this myself. I hope there is a decent housing on the way for the E-300!

I totally agree the E-300 is a wonderful camera. I had lunch with an U\W photog friend who just bought one. He was told by Ike, they have a prototype almost done. Sounds like it should be done in 30-60 days.
However, the 8080 is a prosumer type, point and shoot camera. As you have noted, the E-300 is a dSLR. Two totally differant type of camera's, in two totally differant classes of camera's also. JMHO!
:colgate:

Thanks for the inputs. I was hoping someone out there has been using this setup and can comment on performance. I recognize that with the speed at which these manufactures and the technology moves, cameras like this become obsolete quickly. But prices are reasonable right now. The new E300 will be more expensive due to need for additional lenses and alas I probably can't get in time for a March dive trip. I am really looking for a good combo that has large LCD screen, > 5MP, fast write time, ideally TTL strobe capability, and good wide angle capability. Any other ideas would be appreciate - again thanking everybody for their insight.

Boomer

I am really looking for a good combo that has large LCD screen, > 5MP, fast write time, ideally TTL strobe capability, and good wide angle capability.
If you can, get a C5050 (refurbed or ebay-ed). It's 5MP and has all the functionality you're looking for. The C5050/PT-015 combo is, in my opinion, still the best combo I've seen. The no fuss, interchangeable wet lenses (macro and wide) provide all the flexibility of a prosumer camera. If you want real hardwired TTL then get the Ikelite housing. There are a couple of 'mimick' TTL solutions available for the PT-015 housing.
The C8080 is not a bad camera, but apart from +3MP (which is not a significant gain) brings with it a host of other problems/disadvantages. It's shutterlag is not much less, RAW write times suck and you lose the flexibility of wet wide angle lenses. The PT-023 is quite cumbersome with it's ridiculously large front port, space for the pop-up flash and weak port clamping bosses.

Just my 2 bar.

Well, prior to reading your message last night I had come to the same conclusion. Was also looking at the 5060. Interestingly there are a lot of stories on this and other boards about problems with the 5050/5060. And one thing I'd really like to see better is the size of the LCD screen. Seems we just can't find a really good solution for a reasonable price (new anyway). Sure as it's sunny here in Phx a perfect solution will appear right after I sink $2k or so into a new rig. Thx for the info.

BrantD:
I totally agree the E-300 is a wonderful camera. I had lunch with an U\W photog friend who just bought one. He was told by Ike, they have a prototype almost done. Sounds like it should be done in 30-60 days.
However, the 8080 is a prosumer type, point and shoot camera. As you have noted, the E-300 is a dSLR. Two totally differant type of camera's, in two totally differant classes of camera's also. JMHO!
:colgate:

Does your friend still like his camera? I am not up to the U/W photographic snuff of you folks, but am a fair shot on land. I am looking for a DSLR in the 8mp range, and for sentimental reasons it's important it be an Olympus.

Back
Top Bottom