anyone wear hood over dive mask strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't tried it myself but I know there have been several threads about it & the response seemed to be about 50/50 either way.

Can be caused by hood wrinkling the sides of your face creating a leak path I purchased a hood that fit a little loose and they fixed the problem.

Are you sure that the smallest bit of the hood is not under the seal? That will cause a flood in a heartbeat.

in summer my new mares mask never leaked a drop.since i started with my hood i am continually flooding. i came across this photo below showing a mask strap under the hood.
am going to try this the next time i go. was wondering if anyone here does this?
thx

OMS Ultra Bright Head Lamp discounts on sale OMS

You don't mean like this:
62583_1275188580185_1844083396_536646_2956728_n.jpg

or like this:
20100211204.jpg

It's me in both--the 1st a buddy took, the 2nd one was a self pic..It's the way I go on a hood....

I normally go with the mask strap on the inside but I only do it because sometimes I like to pull the hood back off my head.
But I can see how depending on the mask and hood you might encounter flooding problems.

Does your hood have a way to vent air?
Sometimes trapped air will cause the hood to shift around and break the seal on the mask.

I use 3mm and 5mm hoods (summer and winter, respectively). I wear the hood over the mask strap.

I'd suggest trying it both ways. Often a non-leaking mast will leak when you wear a hood, simply because the hood presses on the skirt, the skirt rides up over the edge of the hood, etc. You should be able to trim the hood so that it fits your mask.... but sometimes a hood seems to change the way your mask fits.

Good luck, and Best Wishes.

I wear the mask under the hood so I don't have to every adjust the strap for diving with or without the hood. It also gives me a little extra protection from loosing the mask (expensive atomic with magnifier lenses). It works for me, just can't do the dork diver MOF thing as easy.

Back
Top Bottom