AOW and/or Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I would like your opinion on whether it is worth doing AOW before Nitrox, or Nitrox before AOW?

I'm not sure I can combine both, funds are a bit limited... Just got some kit :D

Thanks for your input!!

Alex

For a newer diver, I would say taking the AOW course would make you a better diver (not an advanced diver) and help improve your skills more than Nitrox (there's really no skills involved w/ Nitrox other than understanding how deep you can go/calculating best mix and verifying your mix before you dive). Most people want more bottom time with Nitrox or shorter SITs, but from what I've seen, the limiting factor with new divers is air consumption, not nitrogen loading. If you can work on skills that will decrease your air usage, that would probably be more beneficial than Nitrox, at least at first.

If you're a fairly competent diver already, though, and start running into cutting dives short because of reaching NDL's, AOW might not be as valuable to you as Nitrox would be with the increase in bottom time/reduced SITs. I think it really depends where you're at with your skill level. My suggestion: Do both. :wink:

Seriously, though, you may find some AOW classes that will offer both at once.. my shop doesn't do it, but I've seen a lot of posts saying that others do.

Unless you have an unsually good instructor, AOW doesn't do much except give you an extra card. Nitrox is an actual class where you learn something useful.

don't forget, many instructors will dramatically reduce the cost of nitrox if you take it with AOW.

If you're comfortable diving without an instructor already then take nitrox, AOW just introduces you to new types of diving, night, boat, deep. it will not magically make you a diver with advanced skills. I would try and combine the 2 though

Take the Nitrox class first. The only value I see in the AOW cert is the lifted depth restriction. Being able to reduce the N2 and its associated contribution to narcosis with higher FO2s via nitrox will make the utilization of the AOW cert a safer endeavor.

The other skills in the AOW can be practiced without the card. For instance, navigation is a fundamental skill that should be understood prior to completion of the Basic checkout. Too many divers can't find the upline after a dive. Boat or shore? Come on. You are probably already doing them, or you aren't diving. Photography? That has nothing to do with advanced or not. etc... So going deeper, and understanding the effects and the risks, is the only valid part of the Adv cert that I can see. Nitrox will let you enjoy that aspect more.

Walter:
Unless you have an unsually good instructor, AOW doesn't do much except give you an extra card. Nitrox is an actual class where you learn something useful.

Yeah.. the instructor makes a huge difference (and I think the agency does too). My AOW instructor did a lot of buoyancy skills, navigation skills, SMB deployment, SAC calculation, and a few other things here and there. It was actually a good course with real skill learning (NAUI) vs. just getting a card because you've done so many dives here or there.

Not sure what the PADI AOW course is, so I can't comment on that. It may not be worthwhile doing, especially if it's a "you've done x number of dives now, so here's your card" type course. I just don't know.

Oh.. and I should put the caveat on my comments that my perspective is from diving in the Northeast where visibility is significantly reduced and the water temp is MUCH colder than tropical waters. Thus the dives tend to be more strenuous/skill intensive.

you definitely don't do SMB deployment in PADI AOW, not as part of the standard course anyway, and i don't remember there being anything in th ebook about SAC either.

SAC is another thing that should be taught in Basic. How many OOA situations could be avoided with a simple lecture on how to do gas planning. I have run into several divers that can suck down an 80 on a 60 fsw reef well inside the RDP limits.

I'd take a look at what your diving entails. If most of your diving is in the 50' - 110' range or a lot repetitive diving, then Nitrox would be your best bet. If not, then I'd do AOW.

Also - ask the instructor - some are willing to discount the cost of the Nitrox add on to AOW (I'm talking PADI here). All you need is the classroom portion and two supervised dives for Nitrox. Those dives can be coupled with other training dives (AOW Nav, and PPB for example) so the instructor is willing to knock some $$ off for doing both at the same time since they will be diving with you for the AOW dives anyway.

616fun:
Also - ask the instructor - some are willing to discount the cost of the Nitrox add on to AOW (I'm talking PADI here). All you need is the classroom portion and two supervised dives for Nitrox. Those dives can be coupled with other training dives (AOW Nav, and PPB for example) so the instructor is willing to knock some $$ off for doing both at the same time since they will be diving with you for the AOW dives anyway.

Good point. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom