AOW and/or Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rtkane:
Yeah.. the instructor makes a huge difference (and I think the agency does too). My AOW instructor did a lot of buoyancy skills, navigation skills, SMB deployment, SAC calculation, and a few other things here and there. It was actually a good course with real skill learning (NAUI) vs. just getting a card because you've done so many dives here or there.

Not sure what the PADI AOW course is, so I can't comment on that. It may not be worthwhile doing, especially if it's a "you've done x number of dives now, so here's your card" type course. I just don't know.

Oh.. and I should put the caveat on my comments that my perspective is from diving in the Northeast where visibility is significantly reduced and the water temp is MUCH colder than tropical waters. Thus the dives tend to be more strenuous/skill intensive.

I did NAUI Advanced and didn't do SMB deployment, SAC calculations or special bouyancy training. Either your cert, rtkane, had different "options" than mine (perfectly possible) or your instructor was especially enthusiastic (lucky you). Or maybe even both. My NAUI Advanced was pretty close to what the PADI one is, with the focus on practice and performance rather than on theory. The EANx course is heavier on theory and lighter on performance.

Quero:
I did NAUI Advanced and didn't do SMB deployment, SAC calculations or special bouyancy training. Either your cert, rtkane, had different "options" than mine (perfectly possible) or your instructor was especially enthusiastic (lucky you). Or maybe even both. My NAUI Advanced was pretty close to what the PADI one is, with the focus on practice and performance rather than on theory.

NAUI lets you add things to your classes, as long as you teach at least the stuff that's specified in their Standards and Procedures. I teach all the skills that rtkane listed in my AOW class ... plus some he didn't mention. My AOW class focuses on both theory and performance. We do buoyancy skills on every dive, shoot lift bags, mid-water navigation, gas planning, team diving skills, search and recovery (using lift bags) and other drills depending on the student's skill level and interests.

FWIW - it's not at all about agency ... I know some PADI and SSI instructors who teach very good AOW classes. It's all about how much effort your instructor wants to put into providing depth of knowledge, and coming up with in-water exercises that challenge you to apply that knowledge in practical situations.

Whether or not to take AOW is an individual decision ... you have to decide whether the class is worth taking based on your goals, and if so find an instructor who'll work with you. But it's not at all about how many dives you've done. I had a student not too long ago who had logged over 500 dives before taking the AOW class. It took some creativity to come up with skills that would challenge him ... but we managed it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
NAUI lets you add things to your classes, as long as you teach at least the stuff that's specified in their Standards and Procedures. I teach all the skills that rtkane listed in my AOW class ... plus some he didn't mention. My AOW class focuses on both theory and performance. We do buoyancy skills on every dive, shoot lift bags, mid-water navigation, gas planning, team diving skills, search and recovery (using lift bags) and other drills depending on the student's skill level and interests.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As Quero surmised, my instructor was both enthusiastic and added to the requirements (options, but required options). After hearing some others experiences with AOW, I feel very lucky that I gained a good number of skills during the class vs. buying a new c-card. My instructor has been great.

rtkane:
As Quero surmised, my instructor was both enthusiastic and added to the requirements (options, but required options). After hearing some others experiences with AOW, I feel very lucky that I gained a good number of skills during the class vs. buying a new c-card. My instructor has been great.

So, to the diving industry, I say:

Instructors - If you design an AOW that is simply supervised diving for freshly minted OW divers, then do not expect divers such as parrotman and myself to be interested. If you create a course like rtkane took, and can articulate that value proposition for experienced divers, then you may widen your audience for AOW.

Dive operators - If you blindly insist on divers having certifications that did not exist when people like myself were originally certified, then expect us to go elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom