AOW checkout with Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrews5508

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone

I have a few questions now that I am newly certified. I recently was certifed Open Water and Nitrox and have just completed AOW with Padi. For my AOW check out dives I will be heading down to the flower gardens to check out on Deep, Boat, Compass and Night diving. My question is what can I expect from the Gulf in June? I have heard alot about currents running through the Gulf but really do not know what to expect since I have never encountered one. I hear currents can run from calm to mild to very strong and am wondering what those terms mean in respect to diving. Although I know I will be in good hands with my instructors I am trying to get an idea of what to expect should I run into a difficult current.

Thanks for your help

Jason

I can't answer your question but will the oil spill get in the way of diving? I've been wondering about that.

According to the flower gardens website, it will NOT be effected.

Currents: I can only speak from winter experience on the FL panhandle, but most dives the current was strong enough that you'd pull yourself down the anchor line head first. See what your instructor says. Not bad at all on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom