AOW Deep Dive Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm tired of giving the same old tests to demonstate the effeccts of narcosis during the deep dive on the PADI advanced open water course. I've used math problems, write the name backwards, dive table calculations and IQ type "what's the next item in the series" questions. Has anyone done anything different that was good, useful and relevant?

A very good instructor friend of mine has the candidate tie a series of knots.

the Kraken

We were timed at the surface opening a combination lock and then timed again at depth. Wasn't really a great way to do it probably but it worked.

Rubik's Cube

Differential calculus.

do ppl actually get narced at the depth that padi do their "deep dives"? I usaully only start getting affected at 45m

We did "paddy cake, paddy cake, bakers man" (clapping hands with your partner ... arm straight out, then on legs, then arms crossed, over and over) We did this really well at 100ft, but then started to improvise with various hand twirls between claps, instructor stopped us at that point... back up top we discussed that while we were able to do the task, it was more important to look at what we did, and how we felt, when we started to improvise

DB

I had to strip down an M-16 and put it back together within 2 minutes.........Oh wait, maybe I was narced :D .

Actually, just did math problems and dive tables underwater. Kinda wished it was the M-16 though.

Two bolts two thread types,
4 nuts= two thread types, =1/2" or larger diam bolts and nuts,
have student thread and un thread nuts off bolts top side,mix nuts and re thread on to proper bolts And time,
At depth they will have deal with underwater vision,being narced,and its a fun test=I did mine faster at 98'FSW than top side. Must be the Nitrogen Junkie in me!
Dive safe
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom