AOW dive in the Spiegel Grove after 12 logged dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA:
When did "feeling comfortable in the water" become such an important criteria for making dives beyond one's abilities? Is there an agency teaching this, or are people making this excuse up all by themselves?

I have seen this rational used several times on this board. People need to learn the difference between "comfortable in the water"at 25 feet in good conditions and 100 feet in bad conditions with their mask kicked off and reg kicked out.

What is the big hurry to make these dives???:confused:

feeling comfortable in the water is what determines ones abilities!

If someone is uncomfortabe in 10 ft of water, they are already beyond their ability, regardless of the number of dives or cards they have.

Feeling comfortable is how someone expands their abilities.

As for the current, don't worry about it until you get there. If there is a current then you have to determine if it is beyond your comfort zone.

Heck, I know "Doria divers" (Mt. Everest of diving) to have thumbed a dive because of current.

I have been there couple of times no current at all.

BTW; IF SG is too much for your AOW, come up here we get u on the Lizzie D, its only 80 ft, usually no current, 5 to 10 ft of visability, and bottom temp of abt 50 deg.

DEEPLOU:
feeling comfortable in the water is what determines ones abilities!

If someone is uncomfortabe in 10 ft of water, they are already beyond their ability, regardless of the number of dives or cards they have.

Feeling comfortable is how someone expands their abilities.

Feeling unconfortable certainly means that it's time to slow down or back up. However, feeling comfortable can be desceptive and might just mean that you don't understand the magnitude of the situation you're in.

MikeFerrara:
Feeling unconfortable certainly means that it's time to slow down or back up. However, feeling comfortable can be desceptive and might just mean that you don't understand the magnitude of the situation you're in.

I agree. After 12 dives few really understand the magnitude. I thought I did after 100 dives and I was wrong. I now know after 200 dives that I do understand and that I am only half the diver I thought I was at 100 dives.:wink:

Something about practicing rescue breathing on my wife in the rescue class that opened my eyes a little bit a few years ago.

Of course I wouldn't be diving the SG alone. I am doing it because 1) the instructor says it is ok and 2) the instructor will be with me. BTW the LDS from where the instructor comes is one of the oldest and best known in the area so that makes me comfortable about the opinion of the instructor. If I don't trust him TOGETHER WITH MY COMMON SENSE to who am I going to trust at this diving level...

Icarusflies:
Of course I wouldn't be diving the SG alone. I am doing it because 1) the instructor says it is ok and 2) the instructor will be with me. BTW the LDS from where the instructor comes is one of the oldest and best known in the area so that makes me comfortable about the opinion of the instructor. If I don't trust him TOGETHER WITH MY COMMON SENSE to who am I going to trust at this diving level...

You asked for advice and we are giving it to you. We aren't saying that you shouldn't trust your instructor, we are saying that you shouldn't trust mother nature. You, your 63 yr old father, and your intstructor combined can't win against mother nature. That's all. Thumb the dive if you feel you need to. It can be a piece of cake one hour and a real pain the next. That is my advice. Oh, and have fun!:wink:

Icarusflies:
Hello All;

I have 12 dives and Saturday I dive the Spiegel Grove for my last AOW class and NITROX. Of course I ll be with an instructor that knows me since he certified me OW last month. I have dove every week end for the last 2 months or so and I feel pretty comfortable underwater. However, I have read in the forum horrible stories about the Spiegel Grove and its currents. I ll be diving with my 63 years of father, who has the same number of dives. He is also comfortable in water but hass less fitness. What advice can you give me about diving the SG....Oh, I ll be diving NITROX for the first time and as I said I ll be with an instructor that I trust.

Icarus, This is too much, too fast. You have only 12 dives and you will have to be concerned with AOW requirements, first use of nitrox, a 63 year old father with minimal experience and questionable fitness, and probably your deepest dive also. You are already concerned about the current. Reconsider your options.

MikeFerrara:

LOL... yep... It could mean you're narc'd, and that's why you want to share your air with that pretty 'cuda...

Ok guys, point taken...I ll keep my thumb ready in the upward position...:wink:

Ah, and thank you for the feed back...very useful and informative as always....I ll let you know how was the dive

Dive safe, Have fun. Your instructor feels you are ready and has seen you and your father dive. None of the people here have. The S.G. is a challenge, Plan your dive as well as your exit strategy with your instructor, follow his lead. and remember there is no shame in bailing out even at the last minute, as a matter of fact it's a sign of wisdom.

My 2 cents on this and it may be worth only that much.

I got certified 3 years ago and just now am doing my AOW this weekend. (Not because of my abilities in the water, but that is another whole issue!)

I have about 50 dives under my belt and all have been in lakes, quarries or springs. This September I am going on my first ocean boat dive to Pompano Beach. The person I am buddying with originally was going to take us to West Palm Beach but thought the current would be too much for me since this is my first time. I agree.

While I am "very comfortable" in the water, I don't see how any new diver would even consider doing the SG. Let alone for their AOW and on Nitrox for the first time.

I have ready many many posts and read some books on this dive it is NOT a beginner dive by any means even if you have your AOW and 12 dives and your instructor is there. Please reconsider your decision on this.

What about this instructor who is willing to take a very new dive that just got certified last month to the SG? I think someone needs to talk to him also.

Like I said, just my 2 cents and I still consider myself a "new diver". Like a previous poster said, maybe after I have 200 dives I'll consider myself plain diver at that point!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom